Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluid

I'm baffled to say the least, went to my Surf this morning and my usually reliable truck refused to fire up. I noticed the engine management light on and after some head scratching and wiggling things, noticed the expansion tank was near empty. Well it needed topping up any way so did this, and bugger me it started. Is there a protection for the truck starting with low levels of coolant or was it sheer coincidence.

Originally posted by reaper1064 View Post
    I'm baffled to say the least, went to my Surf this morning and my usually reliable truck refused to fire up. I noticed the engine management light on and after some head scratching and wiggling things, noticed the expansion tank was near empty. Well it needed topping up any way so did this, and bugger me it started. Is there a protection for the truck starting with low levels of coolant or was it sheer coincidence.
    How weird...as far as I know there's no such protection...if only! It would stop people from driving around when their cooling system is empty....will be interesting to see what other people think. The expansion tank is not a closed system, a small amount of water can be lost through evaporation, the tank cap is often not very tight. However if your tank was near empty you might have a leak. Give it a good check.
    Good luck

Comment

there is a low coolant sensor listed in the parts manual.
      i think its the one facing the radiator in the thermostat housing.

Comment

On the thermostat casting on mine I have;
        Fan thermoswitch
        Temperature gauge sensor.
        Plus one threaded and plugged blank.
        And no additional wiring.

It would be interesting to see how a level sensor in the thermostat housing would be of any benefit, surely it would be more advantageous to have the level sensor in the expansion tank.
        Ie to alarm at a low level condition as opposed to a no level?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

the list i saw i think the level switch goes in place of the aircon switch.

a switch in the expansion tank would be useless as typically the radiator empties into the expansion tank when faulty. ie engines out of water but expansion tank is full to the brim.

Comment

Very interesting.
            But see post #1 the OP had said his tank was empty.
            Yes in the first instance of over pressure or possibly rad cap issues then the tank will over fill, and in either scenario a warning lamp/buzzer would be beneficial.
            I don't think it would be too difficult to have a high and a low level warning.

Anyway
            Blatant thread hijack alert.
            More importantly 2.8 conversion how much of a ball ache was it?
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

Anyway
              Blatant thread hijack alert.
              More importantly 2.8 conversion how much of a ball ache was it?
              fairly straight forward.
              used the 2.8 mech pump (no boost comp yet) and converted the tach to the 2.8 one. used 2.8 clutch with usual 2.4 solid conversion.
              welded in a drain pipe or the turbo.
              stock throttle cable actually fits mech pump.
              lock open intake butterfly. tho i removed mine completely and made an adapter which made it easier to fit intercooler.
              manual glows.
              everything else just bolts up.

Comment

Working...
              X