rattling/tapping noise headache!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattling/tapping noise headache!!!!!

sorry for sounding like i havent looked on here for an answer but i really have and i need a clear answer or rather a better one than i have already, here goes i am getting a tapping noise from the top end -my truck is a nightmare to start from cold and blows smoke and tapps like mad till warm then just tapps constant it will go when revs go up but always at idle, i have had a stethoscope on the injectors and no1 sounds "different" to the others ie bit more noisy but i was thinking it was shims?? its quite a bad rattle/tapp noise i am a bit down on power, i have noticed that on start from cold the whole engine shakes ALOT untill warm than that goes away, the tapping noise is driving me mad,could it be pump timing out?? or injector snafu?? any help suggestions would be better than my guessing thanks in advance

update

just an update just found out there is slight weeping coming from the pipe that feeds off the fuel pump to injector 1, it smells of diesel and the pipe was a bit past it, so going to replace this but would this give me the rough running???

Comment

i've got 4 pipes on ebay if you should need them...

Comment

thanks buddy i ment the rubber one not the actual "pipes" that go to each injector its that silly little one that goes from no1 injector to the top of the fuel pump

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye7916 View Post
          thanks buddy i ment the rubber one not the actual "pipes" that go to each injector its that silly little one that goes from no1 injector to the top of the fuel pump
          Ah ok...I won't have that..I think it's in Australia...

Comment

That hose is the return to pump from leakoff rail.

Nev.

Comment

ahh ok nev would that cause the injector to tapp?? is this a high preassure job or can i replace with same size normal hose??

Comment

Not sure how much, if any, pressure is there in this hose, or if it leaks will cause injector tap. I just replaced mine with some high pressure fuel hose and all is good. IIRC it's 5mm.

Nev.

Comment

thanks nev advice taken and new line connected however tapping noise still there but thanks for your advice

Comment

The return pipe returns fuel back to the tank from the injectors and have no bearing on injector performance whatsoever!

Comment

yep got that thanks atleast it dosent smell of diesel now im now thinking my timing has skipped as the noise dosent sound like an injector more metal to metal contact thanks for all responses people

Comment

update

hi just an update tapping noise was knackard injector, tested using a method i found on here and no1 was fubar all sorted now, thanks to all that gave help suggestions.

Comment

how did you test the injector? I just put new injectors in and I have this same problem now.

Comment

by cracking top nut off from each injector one at a time and see if noise goes when it dose thats your poo injector, i have sent it off to a mate that tests them to make sure, so would suggest if you try above then change it you get it tested when you can. hope that helps

Comment

I did exactly that. Pulled out the bad injector and replaced it with one old injector. The company I dealt with has already sent me another injector free of charge. I won't be needing to drive long distances with the one bad injector, it just keeps me mobile for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X