No announcement yet.

advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a huge air lock in the cooling system!

1. FIT A THERMOSTAT!!!
    2. Set front and rear heaters to hot.
    3. Half fill the expansion tank.
    4. Fill to the top of the radiator cap housing.
    5. Refit radiator cap.
    6. Go for a short drive until you see the temp gauge starting to move and that warm air is coming from the heaters.
    7. Switch off engine and allow to cool down.
    8. Check coolant level under the rad cap and top up if necessary.
    9. Check level in expansion tank, it should be half way. Top up if necessary.
    10. Repeat steps 6,7,8,9.

Comment

another little trick to help get rid of air lock is to nose the surf up a steep bank.
      get the radiator above the heater hose.

Comment

Why does everyone have such a problem with airlocks? Never have a problem myself and just have the Surf on level ground.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          Why does everyone have such a problem with airlocks? Never have a problem myself and just have the Surf on level ground.

Nev.
          Maybe it's coz you are in Oz, the surf is upside down, so air escapes more easily?
          Just a thought...

Comment

I'm wondering why thermostat was removed in the first place - to mask underlying problem I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
              I'm wondering why thermostat was removed in the first place - to mask underlying problem I think.
              i took it out trying to solve airlock will refitt as it tested good

Comment

update

had her up on wheel ramps so rad higher than heaters filled engine up with water half filled expansion all heaters set to hot and left her running for 2hrs airlock cleared seemed to be rear heater found another prob oil slightly bubbling out of head gasket between number 1+2 cylinder,s its minor bubble every now and then so going to need to find someone to do head gasket job least no airlock anymore

Comment

Do the head gasket yourself, it's not a difficult job, just time consuming, lol

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                    Do the head gasket yourself, it's not a difficult job, just time consuming, lol
                    ..and Les, Rebel rebuilt one someone else took apart, and that's the hardest way...

have a go, worst that happens is you take it apart and your no worse off.
                    I'm sure plenty of advice from the members on here will be forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                      ..and Les, Rebel rebuilt one someone else took apart, and that's the hardest way...

have a go, worst that happens is you take it apart and your no worse off.
                      I'm sure plenty of advice from the members on here will be forthcoming...
                      Andy's right Les, I had unreal amounts of help from the members on here. I would have been lost without them, have a look through my thread, although if it's just the gasket you wouldn't need to take the engine out

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80228

Comment

yeap rebel they a great lot the advice has been great help

Comment

Originally posted by les ward View Post
                          .... the advice has been great help

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1140

Comment

i,ll take a yr when paid bud worth it for the advice you guys give
                            got to fix surf as well wife started it this morning with in 5sec,s its pressurizing the system and overheating now so head gasket/head change time got to go buy some manly tools

Comment

Working...
                            X