Egr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egr

Hi guys I know this subject has been done to death but looking for some help. After reading about crimping off the EGR pipes and the benefits I decided to do this on my Surf. However I cannot seem to find a clear picture or diagram of the position and pipe to clamp. Again my apologies for dragging this up but any help would be great.

not great but might help
    Attached Files
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

As per Koi's pictures, look for the flying saucer shaped thingy at the rear of the engine.

Comment

thanks for the replies, that has helped cheers lads, do you crimp both pipes or one.

Comment

egr

just the one buddy just pull it off and block it off with a ball bearing or a cable tie and your done. leave the solid bit of pipe coming off the egr, just the rubber one needs to be blocked.

Comment

Cheers mate.

Comment

don't do that.
              its rather common for egr valves to be stuck open and disabling with a ball bearing in the pipe can make it so it stays open all the time.
              its far better to block off the actual egr pipe with a plate.

for the 2.4 i think its easily done at the inlet manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
                don't do that.
                its rather common for egr valves to be stuck open and disabling with a ball bearing in the pipe can make it so it stays open all the time.
                its far better to block off the actual egr pipe with a plate.

for the 2.4 i think its easily done at the inlet manifold.
                if it was stuck open it would tend to have a rough idle and hesitant on acceleration, its more common they fail shut and you wouldn't notice any difference.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                  if it was stuck open it would tend to have a rough idle and hesitant on acceleration, its more common they fail shut and you wouldn't notice any difference.
                  if its bad yes it will cause poor driveability but many people would not notice till its really bad.
                  never heard of them failing shut! usually they get of soot/crap stuck under the valve stopping it from closing. point is once its open its stays open. very easy to end up with cracked head because of that. i'm a little rusty but i don't think its a big job to do it properly.

Comment

Damn don't know which way to go now.

Comment

egr

it really is down to your own choice, i just blocked mine off and have had no ill effects from doing it as many on here have also done it this way, my advice would be to try it and if you encounter rough running ect then either go the right way and remove the whole lot or just revert back, simples

Comment

Cheers mate, will give it a bash tomorrow. Thanks to every one who has helped.

Comment

If it's running ok now, blocking the EGR Valve Vacuum Hose will not have any ill effect on it.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                            If it's running ok now, blocking the EGR Valve Vacuum Hose will not have any ill effect on it.

Nev.
                            and IF is the correct word. many people wouldn't notice.

plateing it is the best way, but if you don't have the gear to be able to do it then blocking the egr hose is the next best thing.

Comment

Hi guy's my Surf run really well for it's age so hopefully be o.k. Does anyone on here do the blanking plates as I don't have the facilities to make my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X