Fitting a bigger radiator for towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a bigger radiator for towing

Having just taken my 2.4 Surf back to the dealer to sort out a few problems, I was told that as they fitted a towbar when they bought it for me, they should also have fitted a bigger radiator. So away they went, ordered a new, bigger radiator from toyota and fitted it.

I can't be sure but I think that this must have cost them somewhere in the region of £500 (or more?).

Has anyone ever heard of fitting a bigger radiator to these cars? everyone that I have spoken to thinks that this is rubbish. And dealers don't usually throw money away.

Aren't they designed to be tow vehicles?

Thanks,

Jon.

Originally posted by Jon S
    Having just taken my 2.4 Surf back to the dealer to sort out a few problems, I was told that as they fitted a towbar when they bought it for me, they should also have fitted a bigger radiator. So away they went, ordered a new, bigger radiator from toyota and fitted it.

I can't be sure but I think that this must have cost them somewhere in the region of £500 (or more?).

Has anyone ever heard of fitting a bigger radiator to these cars? everyone that I have spoken to thinks that this is rubbish. And dealers don't usually throw money away.

Aren't they designed to be tow vehicles?

Thanks,

Jon.
    if you're doing a lot of towing then it's a good idea to get an extra oil cooler for the auto box... as the original is inside the main rad which can cause overheatiing on hills
    some people change to a manual rad with separate oil cooler
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I fitted a bigger radiator (had it rebuilt from 3 to 5 core) on my 3L, had to remove the viscous coupling to get it in. Had to do it as I was off to Africa - anyway count yourself lucky - the Gods must have been smiling on you for a stealer to do something for free!
      @africa4x4cafe
      [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
      X