Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems

Hi All

As said in the title my truck is struggling to start, I turn the ignition on and wait for the click of the glow plugs (well the thing that operates them) then turn the key. The motor turns over very well but the engine doesn't start it just keeps firing pretty well but not starting until after 60 seconds then bursts into life puffing a cloud of black smoke. It will then run well and start fine until its left for a number of hours and it then struggles as above.

Any thoughts appreciated especially if it has anything to do with the fault!!

Cheers

Mark

Probably needs new Glow Plugs.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks will swap them out this weekend

Comment

Fuel draining back to the tank?

Could be a faulty fuel primer, the part thats on top of the filter.

Comment

I have a set of glow plugs on my scrapper so I will use them and see if it makes any difference and if not I can swap out the fuel primer off the scrapper as well

Thanks Bushy

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
            I have a set of glow plugs on my scrapper
            Do a resistance test before using them.

Nev.

Comment

OK I changed my starter motor over at the same time (it had come loose and broken the casting but was still working)((tied in place but still bolted at the top as an emergency fix because I was stuck on a slipway with a 40ft boat on a trailer that I was getting off the water)). To get the old one out I had to remove the fuel pump to make room to get the starter in and out.

Having fitted the starter motor the truck starts like a dream???

Do think moving the fuel pump may have dislodged something or jolted something that would make the starting problem go away?

I'm really confused because the truck starts like "new" without a struggle

Weird

Thanks for all advice as above, I have glow plugs and fuel pump now off my scrapper but am not going to do anything unless I have the problem come back

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Working...
              X