Oil Filter drama!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter drama!

I thought that an air filter, oil & oil filter change would be a good move after the initial 500 miles of having my head replaced so I purchased the filters, oil and new sump plug washer etc from Millers and set to work. No problems at all with this basic work except that after draining the engine oil and unscrewing the oil filter I found that the filter (in my case) cannot be removed from the engine bay in any direction. As much as I tried the "old" oil filter would not fit through any gap between pipes / steering column / suspension mounts / turbo shield brackets / anywhere. After about an hour of head scratching I relunctantly refitted the old filter and completed my oil change.
    Has anybody come across this before? and more importantly is a simple answer to my problem out there?
    The only way I saw of extracting the oil filter from within the engine bay was to dismantle pipework or engine bay fittings.

The "old" oil filter dimensions look about the same as the one supplied so I guess if I couldn't get it out then I wouldn't get the new one in !

Secondly I can report that after the new head and now some Redex fuel treatment I appear to be getting 21 - 22 mpg on average from my 2.4 auto (mixed / combined driving but not exceeding 3500rpm) which I think, considering the size, shape and weight of the vehicle, is an acceptable return.

However this oil filter thing is annoying.

You can remove a piece of the inner wing in-line with the filter, and pull it from the under the wheel arch.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

had the same trouble and struggled for ages but there is a panel you can remove directly inline with oil filter,so it comes straight out.

Comment

get a 3.0 don't even have to bend down to get it... just on top of the engine!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          get a 3.0 don't even have to bend down to get it... just on top of the engine!
          You love to make people feel sad huh! poor buggers haveing trouble, Matts answer, tell him how easy it is for Matt and his newer truck!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the info (removable panel in inner wing), I'll know for next time.

If only I could have afforded a 3.0 !!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X