Glow plugs / smoke on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow plugs / smoke on start up

When starting my surf from cold it gives out quite a bit of smoke and runs lumpy for the first 10 seconds. after this it runs fine with no smoke. Normally I would just assume this is the case with an older diesel engine.

The thing that makes me wonder is the glow plug light doesn't stay on for long (1 & 1/2 seconds), and if I turn the ignition on and off a few times in a sort of "light the glow plugs three times in a row" then it starts a lot better. Would this mean the glow plugs needed replacing? I would have thought the glow plug light would stay on longer if they were on their way out?

Your knowledgeable thoughts please!
    If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Hi

Sounds like the plugs to me. By turning ignition on and off you are providing some extra heat into the cylinders. Always been that for me in the past.
    The easy way is to take the feed and link bar off the plugs, then using a meter measure the resistance between the block and the top threaded nut. All readings should be similar, but not open circuit.
    I'm sure a more learned person may be able to provide you with the correct resistance reading.
    I think new ones are a bout £10 each from RT

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
      Hi

Sounds like the plugs to me. By turning ignition on and off you are providing some extra heat into the cylinders. Always been that for me in the past.
      The easy way is to take the feed and link bar off the plugs, then using a meter measure the resistance between the block and the top threaded nut. All readings should be similar, but not open circuit.
      I'm sure a more learned person may be able to provide you with the correct resistance reading.
      I think new ones are a bout £10 each from RT

Hope this helps
      I'll get a new set in there and see what happens. It's the most likely culprit, and at a tenner each, worth a punt.

Cheers
      If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Working...
      X