Loss of oil pressure/clattering noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of oil pressure/clattering noise

Urgent help required. Just arrived at a job and service light came on, engine is clattering like no oil is in it, but its still halfway between full and empty. Cannot see any leaks. Any ideas??
    Last edited by DMAudio; 2 June 2013, 19:38.

if in doubt do not run engine until it's checked properly.

you said service light on. amber engine light or red oil light.

call the recovery service to get home.

maybe someone local to you could have a look/listen.

when was the last oil,filter change ?

Comment

Thanks for the reply wood. It's the amber engine service light, and there was a new oil and filter done less than 1000 miles ago. I'm quite mechanically minded so I won't be running the engine. I've checked the obvious stuff, but the lack of pressure can only be the oil pump or something surely?

Normally I'd be able to diagnose this if I was home and had tools, but I'm gigging tonight and can't really get stuck into it. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue maybe it's something daft I just haven't thought of!

Comment

is it a heavy knocking or a tinkling noise.

was there a reading from oil pressure gauge ?

does the oil warning light (red) illuminate when ignition on ?

I didn't think the engine management (orange) would come on due to low oil pressure.

are you sure the "clattering" is engine internals ?

sorry Mike not really much help.

Comment

Definitely a top end rattle like there's oil starvation. There is a little reading on the gauge but definitely lower than normal. Probably about 15% on the gauge. Red oil light comes on with ignition, and wasn't on whilst driving. Just the orange light. I'm grateful for any input to be honest, kinda focused on working at the moment so can't get too distracted thinking about it whilst playing

Comment

enjoy the gig

be someone along later to offer better advice/help

robert

Comment

First, check the fault codes
              well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Thanks guys, gig went well

Recovery bloke turned up and had a listen, and reckons the clattering noise was coming from the injection pump, so just slung me on the back of the wagon to get me home.

I'll have a better look tomorrow when it's daylight, and I'm not exhausted. It'll be annoying if it is the pump, as I have already replaced it with a 2nd hand one because the last one leaked....it was not a pleasant job, so I don't relish the thought of doing it again!

Comment

OK, it's throwing up a fault code 12 (Timer control valve - pump)?

I've never reset the codes from when I replaced the pump last year, so not sure whether or not that code was there before. However, the pump was only replaced due to leaky seals, so it never gave a code originally.

Having checked the oil again this morning, it's well within normals. The pressure is back to normal (must have just been convinced I have low pressure....hot day, long drive and clattering noises).

The engine sonds fine for the first 30 seconds or so on idle, but then starts clattering it's head off again. Doesn't appear to have affected the power as I was able to drive it onto the recovery truck last night no problems.

Everything I can see is pointing to the pump, but question is, can it be resolved without taking the damn thing out again?!

Comment

A TCV fault can sometimes be a result of something gone wrong with the timing, such as the belt jumping a tooth or two on the pump.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev, have to say...it does sound a lot like the timing is miles out, but it still revs as normal, and no more smoke than usual. I checked the belt today and it seemed to be tensioned properly, but I'll check the marks all line up tomorrow.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Working...
                      X