replaced bad injectors, no power now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaced bad injectors, no power now

I was told over a year ago that my injectors were in bad shape, finally replaced them today. I am an auto tech so it wasn't my first time wrenching, but after changing them I find I have no power. can't do 100km/h and it is always downshifting. I turned my fuel pump down (3 clicks) after changing, but put it back where it was and still no power. dp these injectors have a break in period? I changed the body and all, not just the tips. my boost still hits about 11 psi as it did before (thought it might be a boost leak). all I can think of is that I have an air leak into the fuel system somewhere. when I first started it I noticed a heavy diesel knock but went away shortly. it starts and idles much better than before. and the engine no longer shakes when revved up like before. I don't see any fuel leaks, my injection pump isn't old. all I can think of is an air leak or they need a break in.

I also changed the valve cover gasket and throttle body gaskets while I was in there as they were both seeping oil. any ideas?

Was the power ok before changing the injectors?

Is this lack of power accompanied by any smoke and if so what colour?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

it did lack power before a bit but I could still do 110 km/h. it smoked black before and it does still smoke a little, but not as bad. I do have 35s and 5.29 gears so I know it won't be a powerhouse but I figured charging injectors would free up a little power. I rebuilt the engine last year so there isn't much other reason for it to suddenly drop in power.

Comment

Air filter choked?
        Fuel filter ?
        Does it just run out of revs?

O/D button in?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

what engine is it?

quite possible the injection pump is very worn. run ok with weak injectors but with normal spring tension it may be struggling to open the injectors fully. ie pump plunger leaking to much and not making full pressure.

also spring pressure alters timing a bit. you could try advancing the timing a bit and see if it improves.

Comment

new air filter, new fuel filter. it's a 2lte. shifts normally and everything. engine has been rebuilt, everything new. just seems gutless now. turbo seems to spool slower now but still hits peak boost. im thinking air leak from where I re-gasketed the throttle body? can't think of what else it may be.

injection pump was changed a few months before I rebuilt the engine.

Comment

I turned my fuel pump down (3 clicks) after changing, but put it back where it was
              quite possible you have damaged the pump.

i would fit some clear fuel line on the pump outlet and see if you have any air bubbles. you may have busted a seal when you adjusted it.

Comment

how would adjusting it only slightly damage it? going to put on a few more miles before I start tearing it apart again. took it forna half hour drive and it got a little better, maybe I have air trapped in the system yet

Comment

just check for air in the fuel case its sucking air in somewhere.
                  that can cause the timing to retard and you will get boost but no power.
                  disturbing a seal can cause it to leak. there is a reason fuel filters etc all come with new seals to use.

Comment

doesn't seem to have any air in the system. Bled the system at the injectors as well. I cleaned out the little filter before the boost pressure sensor and replaced the J pipe to it. This dropped my boost a bit but it runs and shifts way better than ever. but I still have no power. It does smoke a little black so it is not being starved of fuel, boost is coming up very slowly. I have a feeling I have an air leak somewhere. I resealed the throttle body with high temp silicon when I had it off, maybe I will tear it down and make gaskets for it instead. Can't buy gaskets locally here (Canada) for a 2lt-e, so I keep gasket material on hand.

Won't go 100 km/h after changing injectors, slow to boost. Sounds like an air leak to me, no? All of my vaccuum lines appear to be in good shape now and are properly connected. I did notice the new copper washers for the injectors were only half as thick as the old ones. Could this be a problem?

Tonight I will probably remove the injectors, inspect them and clean any dirt out.

Comment

Update: removed the injectors and inspected them, no damage or wear on them. put it all back together and made sure everything was well sealed and tight. My boost seems to come up ok and cuts out around 10 psi (I'm guessing I had a loose vacuum hose). But I still have no friggin power! gonna start inspecting vacuum lines to my egr as it seems to be even slower the longer I drive. Drove 20 minutes home with it and could rarely get into overdrive. Any ideas? Very close to putting the old injectors back in, maybe I just got crap injectors? Can barely even drive the truck as it is now, feels like it's always pulling a trailer behind and just working way too hard.

Edit: I tried bypassing my vsv (it's been broken and has been "automotive gooped" back together, still functions though) thought that may give me some sort of idea but it didn't start when I did that. Returned it back as it was and found some metal to block off the egr tomorrow. Sat back with a beer for some deep thought time and realized, alignment! It didn't occur to me that I had changed a ball joint and then the truck sat until I did the injectors. I figure the alignment may be so far out (noticeable toe out, and under just a short distance I noticed odd tire wear) that the truck may be fighting itself on the highway and working too hard (especially fighting 35" tires). Going to block off the EGR tomorrow, then eyeball the alignment with a friend as a shop would probably not have time until late next week, though I will get it on an alignment rack asap.

If that's not it, the old injectors are going back in.
                      Last edited by young-gunn; 22 June 2013, 04:58.

Comment

Bump.

Still having problems like crazy. I got an alignment done, changed the fuel filter, and it still won't push over 95 km/h. I've noticed it to have poor pick up from a stop until the boost hits about 5 psi, and takes a while to spool to that point. I'm really lost on ideas. I'm not far from throwing the old injectors in and seeing what results from that. I noticed my old injectors had a thick o-ring where they mounted and the new ones only a copper washer. Could there be some issue with this?

I'm starting to think either these injectors are crap or air is getting into my fuel somehow. It smokes a little black from a standstill but it isn't that bad for having 2.5" straightpiped exhaust

Comment

Does the engine rev strong in 'P' or 'N'?

Do you have a boost gauge?

Did the lack of power coincide with the fitting of the boost gauge?

Does the green turbo light come when you hit 1800 RPM?

Injection pump timing out? (Belt slip)

Have you tried the wastegate mod?
                          http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm

Comment

Revs strong in 'P'

Hada boost gauge for 4 years, reads well and boost is at 11-12 psi with the wastegate mod.

Green turbo light comes on at 1800 rpm or so. it just seems to take a long time to rev to that point while under load.

Inspected timing last week and everything is still good. I've got about 15,000 kms on this timing belt.

Comment

OK, so the next thing to do is check for ECU fault codes.

If you've got max boost and the green turbo light comes on then the turbo and pressure sensor are fine.
                              It's either fuel or another sensor fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X