Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket, Problem, could be blown??? Please Help

Greetings all,

I could do with your advice on this one.
    The temperature suddenly soared up and the large coolant pipe exploded . I got the surf to a mechanic and he replaced pipe and put in a new thermostat, he said the thermostat housing was completely blocked up. I drove off and it wasnt before long the temperature was rite back up. The pipes are solid with pressure/ steam. She is currently sitting up. The mechanic tells me the radiator could be blocked up or else the head gasket has blown,....

Any advice for the next course of action??
    Much appreciated.

Kurt

Heads gone. Almost certainly. Its never just the gasket.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Check if your engine boiling at cold.
      Start the cold engine and run it in over 40 miles/h with turbo working. It is recommended to up a climb. Run the surf around 1 mile. stop the engine and check if the water was thrown out.
      If is just a head gasket, engine water comes out before touch 100 celsius degree.
      Last edited by Adrian FANTANAR; 29 April 2013, 13:41.

Comment

Thanks !!

Ive noticed the water boiling and bubbling in the expansion tank for the past few days before pipe exploded. its still got a lot of coolant in the expandion tank. Huge amount of pressure in the pipes. the coolant is definetly boiling, i took the rad cap off a few times to allow the steam to escape.

I took it to a mechanic today for the list of options,

1. Get a complete brand new head ,the gasket,rad, the works basically , the only way to make sure its 100 percent bulley proof, very pricey. between 1000 - 1500 euros

2. get the head skimmed and as above, save a couple of hundred euro, compared to above price.

3. scrap it and buy a new one or buy another and use original for parts.

4. have a cry, and bow out of the surf world graciously

I will keep yee posted.

regards

Comment

1/ find another mechanic.
          2/ buy a new head etc & repair yourself.
          3/ listen to Bogus.
          4/ never ignore problems with cooling system.
          5/ find another mechanic.

Comment

The cost of having the head done could buy you a fairly decent 3.0 and you get to keep your 2.4 as a spares truck.

Rob.

Comment

Nobody has ever suggested listening to me before, but in case you are, forget skimming as well, the head doesn't warp a little bit it cracks a lot in many places usually. ( between valves)

If you want it to live again, its a replacement head, so its decision time. Not a cheap job even if you DIY, but if the rest of the truck is perfect could still be worth it.
              Factor in the 1000-1500b euros you could spend fixing it, now factor in a possible 500 euros for it as a breaker and you have 2000 to spend on a new truck. A decent 3.0l can be had. Pretty much as Wishbone already suggested, but I thought Id add it as nobody told you to listen to him.
              Last edited by Bogus; 30 April 2013, 00:58.
              Сви можемо

Comment

Yes, im listening alrite, i am forgetting about skimming, if im going to do it im going to go the entire new head route. Its a good point alrite that i have the guts of 2000 grand to play around with. The surf i have cost 2000 and ive also put a fair bit of work into her converting her to a commercial vehicle and she is in pretty good nick, no other problems apart from this.
                My concern with buying a new surf for around 2000 euros would be the possibility of buying more problems and being back to where i am right now.

Its a tough decision but im leaning more towards just paying the chunk of cash and getting a complete new head.

Regards,

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by kurtoppermann View Post
                  Yes, im listening alrite, i am forgetting about skimming, if im going to do it im going to go the entire new head route. Its a good point alrite that i have the guts of 2000 grand to play around with. The surf i have cost 2000 and ive also put a fair bit of work into her converting her to a commercial vehicle and she is in pretty good nick, no other problems apart from this.
                  My concern with buying a new surf for around 2000 euros would be the possibility of buying more problems and being back to where i am right now.

Its a tough decision but im leaning more towards just paying the chunk of cash and getting a complete new head.

Regards,

Kurt
                  or come to kerry and buy of me an 2.4 engine
                  the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by kurtoppermann View Post

Regards,

Kurt
                    If you do proceed this way, just use the search on here and make sure its done right, new head, new stretch bolts, proper torqueing etc etc.
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                      or come to kerry and buy of me an 2.4 engine
                      Ahoy Budweiser,
                      what have you go going, for sale, a complete surf or is it just the engine? what condition. Let me know as Im gonna make a decision on this today and get her sorted asap, im back working next week.

Regards,

Kurt

Comment

Ahoy Budweiser,
                        what have you go going, for sale, a complete surf or is it just the engine? what condition. Let me know as Im gonna make a decision on this today and get her sorted asap, im back working next week.

Regards,

Kurt

Comment

give me a line at

thejoke(dot)acosta(at)gmail.co m

thanks

Comment

not selling the whole car, but yes to the engine and other bits

Comment

If I had 2,000 grand; I'd not be fannying around with a 20 year old 2.4 Surf...
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                              X