Hanging thingies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging thingies

I have a number (3) of things hanging around in the engine bay that look as if they should have some specific role to play in the general scheme of things. Can anyone shed some light in my direction as I dont seem to be able to find anything to mate them up with..A & B are coming out of the rear of the fuel filter/primer and C appears to come from the same bit of loom that feeds a cable up to that blue doohickey...Any help would be gratefully appreciated, though I should say that everthing that should work does and the beast goes like a dream so perhaps I should stop worrying and leave well olone!
    PS thanks to the help and advice on this site, yesterday I fitted my Kenwood stereo in just over 1 and half hours would have been a bit quicker but forgot to plug the cd changer cable into back of radio !
    Attached Files
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Rog
    MM0FWG[/COLOR]

In pic 2 the air temp sensor hanging on the power steering cap should go through the rubber grommet in the air intake pipe.

The others I cannot help you with.

Comment

Originally posted by rog
      I have a number (3) of things hanging around in the engine bay that look as if they should have some specific role to play in the general scheme of things. Can anyone shed some light in my direction as I dont seem to be able to find anything to mate them up with..A & B are coming out of the rear of the fuel filter/primer and C appears to come from the same bit of loom that feeds a cable up to that blue doohickey...Any help would be gratefully appreciated, though I should say that everthing that should work does and the beast goes like a dream so perhaps I should stop worrying and leave well olone!
      PS thanks to the help and advice on this site, yesterday I fitted my Kenwood stereo in just over 1 and half hours would have been a bit quicker but forgot to plug the cd changer cable into back of radio !
      I think 'C' should be in the rubber grommet on the air intake, only on the 2LTE engine so one the them owners will be able to verify.
      A&B are for the optional Flux Capacitor, looks like yours has been removed
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Pic 2 and item C in pic one is Air Temp Sensor.Looks like you have a blank grommet in Air Filter Elbow and may need to replace with a grommet with a suitable size hole to suit the sensor.

Not sure about A & B and will check mine tomorrow and let you know if I can identify them.

Neville

Comment

Many thanks guys, C does indeed fit into the previously unnoticed grommet and has been inserted into same, cant find anything about it in my less than helpful handbook but better in than out..makes things tidier, as for the Flux Capacitor was the dealer lying when he said it had to be removed to pass MOT??
          [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Rog
          MM0FWG[/COLOR]

Comment

Have checked my 1992 SSR-X and it doesn't have anything mounted on fuel filter. Item c) definately goes in air filter elbow. Have a look at attached. Let me know if you want to trace any wires under engine bay.
            Attached Files

Comment

Does either of A or B start from under the fuel filter? If so, its the "drain water" warning light. If it is, there should be a spare connection floating about on the nearside wheel arch somewhere near.
              Mike G

Comment

Rog

If you have a look at the first pic from crashyb you will see the wires from fuel filter water drain under the wiper motor.They connect to another plug in this area.This may solve either A or B.If not do these two connectors fit together.They don't seem to be in the right place but may have been moved by someone at sometime.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                  Rog

If you have a look at the first pic from crashyb you will see the wires from fuel filter water drain under the wiper motor.They connect to another plug in this area.This may solve either A or B.If not do these two connectors fit together.They don't seem to be in the right place but may have been moved by someone at sometime.

Neville
                  Thanks Neville, after looking at crashyb's pic again it seems that my filter has a different housing. I have located the grey wire coming from the bottom of filter which I take to be the water warning and it is connected to the loom,but the top part of the housing has the fuel in and out at 6 and 3 o'clock respectively (looking towards the bulkhead) and at 9 o'clock the wires for "A" which are white and white with black stripe and at about 1 o'clock the wires for "B" which are both yellow.
                  The two connectors dont fit together because (careful how I word this!) they are both male, the prongs inside A being about twice the size of B.
                  There is also nothing within range of the wires that I can see which they could be plugged into, though being a tad short in the arse its not easy to see into the depths, but they are both loosely held by a dedicated cable clamp so I have to assume that where they are hanging is where they are supposed to be in which case possibly something only used in Japan or we are back to the dreaded Flux Capacitor...............
                  Thanks again to everyone who took an interest in trying to sort this out
                  [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Rog
                  MM0FWG[/COLOR]

Comment

If they are starting at the fuel filter then they could be connections for a fuel preheater for winter motoring. I believe some of the Surfs with a winter pack fitted have this on them.. May be that someone has swapped filters at some time and used one on yours that doesn't have the conections on the loom.
                    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                      If they are starting at the fuel filter then they could be connections for a fuel preheater for winter motoring. I believe some of the Surfs with a winter pack fitted have this on them.. May be that someone has swapped filters at some time and used one on yours that doesn't have the conections on the loom.
                      I think you could be spot on, there is definately nothing mechanical close by or any obvious "tide" marks where somethings been removed, so as the wise man say "If it aint broke leave the bugger alone"
                      [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Rog
                      MM0FWG[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X