Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 head removal?

Afternoon all,

I have started to dismantle the poorly engine in my truck.

Got as far as removing belts, fan, air intake to and from turbo etc. Rocker cover is clear, now starting to clear timing belt cover.

When I tackle the manifolds, am i better trying to get them off as complete as possible?
    Which part of the ( ithink its the egr pipe) that runs round back of engine to intake manifold is best to break to obtain a new gasket if it gets rebuilt.

Had a look round for a detailed sticky abour taking head off but didn't find one.

Have removed the air con compressor, not run for ages and no gas. Is it worth while taking out as much of it as possible to throw away whilst i'm in there.

There is rad and 2 fans below the engine, is that for air con or A/T oil cooler?

Long list I know, but need to get this truck sorted one way or another. If the head is dead considering the Lexus upgrade, so will be reading the sticky and asking lots more questions.

Regards

Andy ( cold, grazed knuckles, stiff back)

Update...
    Now removed as much to the exhaust side as possible without touching turbo. Will need a new heater matrix though, bent pipe getting the hose off.....
    Exhaust manifold nuts are now soaking in oil, but hopefully they will come free like every other bolt so far.

The intake side looks a little cramped and could really use a little advise before I tackle that one.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sparkie67; 10 March 2013, 17:31.

I leave all the manifolds and EGR stuff on, and lift it all off together with a engine hoist, (its friggin' heavy! ) and strip it on the bench. But if you're on your own and don't have a hoist you might not have a choice. Especially when putting back, as any jiggling or dropping it can damage the headgasket and spoil your fun.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony

Will keep stripping it down. some of the bolts are in a ###### awkward place.

if the head is cracked it,s all coming out for scrap. Are the turbo, inj pump and throttle bits in any need these days.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
        Cheers Tony

Will keep stripping it down. some of the bolts are in a ###### awkward place.

if the head is cracked it,s all coming out for scrap. Are the turbo, inj pump and throttle bits in any need these days.

Cheers

Andy
        If you are scrapping the whole motor and assuming the bits were ok before, you should be able to get some returns on the bits you sell.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

It was running great before it started overheating.
          There are no external leaks and it isn't in the oils either.
          Just hoping its a head gasket, but knowing my luck the head will be the culprit.

Comment

A little bit more removed.

Hi. Got the turbo, inlet throttleassembly and injector lines off.

Which is the next best bit to remove. Can see the EGR line from exhaust manifold
            to intake maifold. Before i can start taking manifolds off i obviously need to remove it.
            Under where the EGR comes into the inlet I can feel what I think is a set of valves. Can't see them for the tight space. Would hopefully be in a position to lift the head next weekend. Also what size are the sockets for the head bolts, will need to by a torx socket big enough.

Regards
            Andy
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sparkie67; 17 March 2013, 16:54.

Comment

Head bolts need a 14mm 12 point socket.

For the ERG pipe there are two 12mm nuts on the back exhaust manifold, the lower one is fiddly to get off, a ratchet spanner is a godsend on it, take your time and get a good fit with the ring end of a spanner as if you round the nut off you'll really struggle with it. The side that bolts the inlet is obvious and easy.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Did they build the engine, drop it in the chassis then build the truck round it. Never seen an engine bay with less room to play in.
                One good thing is, I haven't had one bad bolt yet, they have all come undone.

Comment

Crankshaft pulley

Hi

Getting nearer to actually getting the head off now.
                  All the exhaust side is clear, was going to leave the intake manifold on for the moment.

Looking at the timing cover I obviously need to take the crank pulley off.
                  1. is it a standard threaded bolt.
                  2 What is the easiest way to slacken the bolt, are there any points to lock the crank whilst undoing it.
                  3. Will i need a puller to get the crank pulley off. If yes does the rad have to come out.
                  4. If rad has to come out, when I drop the auto hoses off will they slowly leak everywhere

A lot of questions I know, but would really appreciate the answers.

Regards

Andy

Comment

Update

The story so far......

Radiator had to come out to give a little extra access to crank pulley, which is being a total git and won't come off the shaft.
                    Borrowing a 2 leg puller tomorrow, use that and shout at it a little and it may move.
                    It's had a squirt of WD and a gentle tap with some wood and a hammer, so see what tomorrow brings............

PS forgot to mention, pub time....

Comment

Use a puller like the one marked in yellow, with 2 bolts into the pulley (I used the ones that hold the aircon pump on...)
                      Attached Files

Comment

How to split head from block

Borrowed 2 from work, one puller wouldn't go round the pulley, the other puller would but was too long to go between pulley and front cross member.
                        Ended up making my own to get it off.

Anyway, all pulleys off, T belt off, rocker cover off and all head bolts out.

Now what is the best way to split the head from the block. Block of wood and a hammer? or are there some locating dowels which won't allow it to move sideways.

tried pulling up on the inlet manifold, left it on to act as a lever / handle, but not budging.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Don't want to break it now.

Cheers .

Comment

Head off. pictures for view

Hi
                          Finally got the head off. Came off quite easy really when you don't miss a bolt.....

Must admit when I was undoing the bolts a couple seemed to undo a lot easier then the rest as though they hadn't been torqued down properly, or the bolts had stretched more than normal.

Pictures are attached and looks like 2 & 4 are goosed. Also the ones with crack s in, there is a lot of pitting in the head as well, as can be seen.

Looks like a lexus conversion is on the way......more questions about that later.

If it is coming out completely, any idea on spares value for saleable items before weighing block and head in for scrap.

Cheers
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sparkie67; 2 May 2013, 18:47.

Comment

Working...
                          X