Noisy Fuel Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Fuel Pump?

After changing the cambelt (the very fcuked cambelt) the engine is much quieter, so much quieter that at tickover of about 750 rpm you can hear a constant ticking noise.
    Fearing the worst that perhaps during the fitting of the belt I have slipped a tooth and put the timing out and hence the noise being valve interfering with piston crown, I have rechecked the timing and found it to be ok.

The noise increases with engine rpm till it can no longer be heard over the roar of the fan and the engine noise.

With a stick pressed to the various engine rotating bits and with the other end at my ear I have pinpointed it to the injection pump, the noise is loudest from the alloy fuel injector top cover.

I have never noticed this ticking before and am unsure if it is because the engine is much quieter now and has always been there just never heard before or if the pump is about to expire?

So to sum up should I be able to hear the injector pump ticking?

Ta.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Ticking

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
    After changing the cambelt (the very fcuked cambelt) the engine is much quieter, so much quieter that at tickover of about 750 rpm you can hear a constant ticking noise.
    Fearing the worst that perhaps during the fitting of the belt I have slipped a tooth and put the timing out and hence the noise being valve interfering with piston crown, I have rechecked the timing and found it to be ok.

The noise increases with engine rpm till it can no longer be heard over the roar of the fan and the engine noise.

With a stick pressed to the various engine rotating bits and with the other end at my ear I have pinpointed it to the injection pump, the noise is loudest from the alloy fuel injector top cover.

I have never noticed this ticking before and am unsure if it is because the engine is much quieter now and has always been there just never heard before or if the pump is about to expire?

So to sum up should I be able to hear the injector pump ticking?

Ta.
    If it was mine I'd Bang a couple of gallons if petrol in with the diesel. Helps clean to injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Devil View Post
      If it was mine I'd Bang a couple of gallons if petrol in with the diesel. Helps clean to injectors.
      Hmmm a couple of gallons of petrol?
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

That what I was thinking, you want to clean the pump, not blow the head off.

I've never heard a pump ticking, you sure nothing is rubbing on the cam belt, or one of the pulleys.

Or even a noisy bearing on the A/C, alt or powersteering.

Or maybe just valve clearances need checking.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yep almost 100% certain the noise is from the pump, well that is where it sounded the loudest using my stick.
          The front end of the engine is as I would expect nothing out of the ordinary.
          There is some noise from the valve train but the 'ol girl has just clocked 200k, and yes I am sure that the valve clearances might benefit from inspection, but they do not sound overly loud.

It is a metallic tick.
          I know sounds are pretty hard to describe.
          It is not overly loud as in "omg what is that" more of "hmmm never noticed that before"
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Get some light fraction petroleum distillate, i.e white spirit and mix with a bit of diesel, and rig up a 5L can or similar and rig it to the IP. let it warm up and give it an Italian tune up.

Redex injector cleaner is mostly made from white spirit.
            l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

My old 2.4 had a ticking sound.(with a brand new head from Stevo) It ran perfect and never blew up so I wouldn't worry too much. I assumed it was a noisy injector but never looked into it any further.

Rob.

Comment

Well as an update, the engine did get a dose of petrol, albeit unintentionally.

The injectors have had a good dose of petrol through now and the pump appears quieter.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                  Well as an update, the engine did get a dose of petrol, albeit unintentionally.

The injectors have had a good dose of petrol through now and the pump appears quieter.
                  A bit of petrol in with the diesel does a world of good. Cheapest injector cleaner around!

Comment

just be careful. petrol in diesel can damage injection pumps and injectors. put a little bit of cheap 2 stroke oil in to counter act the petrols lack of lube.

Comment

Working...
                    X