Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate window Nightmare!!

Greeting!
    Many thanks to all for advice so far, its all being put to good use and im gradually getting through all the little surprises my new surf is throwing at me, im really getting to know her.
    Ive been putting this job off for a while as it looks like a right sod of a job to fix, the rear window on the tailgate is getting stuck.
    When i put the key in to lower window she goes down about 2 inches then gets stuck, the motor works however it sounds under pressure, when i apply a small amount of pressure on the window downwards while simultaneously turning key she goes all the way down. And then I can open tailgate, I can also get it back up with a bit of a push but the motor cant handle it on its own.
    Ive read a bit so far throughout, and im thinking the cogs at the motor have sheared away slightly or worn ?? Any suggestions,? Ive also been pumping plently of silicone lubricant spray in there to loosen things up.
    Even with the back panel on the tailgate off, its pretty difficult to see the point where motor cogs and regulator teeth meet?
    Any practical solutions or is it time to just buy a completely new regulator mechanism?
    Heres hoping
    Many thanks

Kurt
    1991, surf, LN`130, 2.4 manual

drive cog

hi
    the drive cog is part of the window motor
    you have to take the motor off to see it
    could just be full of crap
    give it a clean and try it
    if not crap the motor will be on it,s way out
    the old git

Comment

sometimes its the metal guides at the bottom of the window they start corroding and make travel for the little nylon wheels difficult

Comment

Tailgate window Nightmare!!

Hello,
        The track that the wheels run along definetly has plenty of corrosion on it, and the wheels are worse for wear, im scraping back plenty of rust and using loads of grease, the window will go up all the way on her own now, but she just doesnt have the strength to come down herself.
        Im hesitant to start taking the tailgate apart at the moment as I may not get her back together and working within the small time frame i have, as i using the surf everyday.
        Ive a feeling this job will require many hours of toil,pain and headbanging.
        Does anyone have any photos of the tailgate /regulator dismantled , just for a comparison to spot the difference.?

Many thanks

Kurt

Comment

Just been playing with mine too.
          Greased as much as I could get to including the side guide rails for the glass.

Comment

there is a thread with pics on here somewhere about how to refurbish the motor, think its by niftynev, its just a matter of trying to find it

but its not difficult to change the motor, even for a non mechy

Comment

Mine was similar - the track the window sits in was a bit rusty but the main problem was the large helper spring was also a bit rusty and dry.
              Greased these and now it flys up and down.

Comment

You are right it is becoming a nightmare! Some body smashed through my tailgate glass ,that was a couple of years ago so as quick fix I put in a polycarbonate screen and priced up for a new screen £400 aprox I thought stuff that. So I drove around for along while with the effective pc sheet Last week I found a rear screen for £45" more like it" So I thought piece of cake I knew the layout of the tail gate. I was not prepared for the palaver, unbolt the denzo release all the latch cables strip off all the rubber to slide the glass down tricky to get it in the right groove on your own The ruuners on bottom of the glass were rusty so I had cleaned them and well. So got it all in without the ruuber seals and it went three quarters up and down very nicely and I thought just wearing in after a time of no use ,but then it stopped and now I think the Denzo is dead. Oh tribulation after tribulation Any help and guidance you can give will be a boon and a comfort to know that we are all in the same boat.

Comment

Mines doing that as well, I'm going to have a go at cleaning it out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by angloabroad View Post
                    there is a thread with pics on here somewhere about how to refurbish the motor, think its by niftynev, its just a matter of trying to find it

but its not difficult to change the motor, even for a non mechy
                    This one

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34758
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Working...
                    X