Tapping followed by rough running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping followed by rough running

Hi guys, I'm the victim of lack of knowledge so I'm going to spell out the problem exactly as it has happened and hope to god that somebody on here can enlighten me.

Right, so a few months back my surf 2.4td started having issues starting after being sat for an extended period of time, I read on here to try priming the fuel filter before starting it, this worked beautifully in conjunction with some new glow plugs( fitted as routine maintenance).

However one morning it started making a tappy noise that was relative to the amount of revs being produced, no loss of power as of yet....this tapping steadily got worse and a little more smoke than usual started coming out of the arse end. No engine management light or anything sinister....then it finally decided that it was running too roughly to go anymore and broke down outside the house...I haven't started it again for fear of doing any more damage as it appears nursing it home wasn't the best idea. If anybody can give me any guidance or anything that I can check please feel free.

Injectors, fuel pump, fuelling system have been mentioned yet I haven't checked anything as nothing was suggested with conviction...thanks in advance

Steve
    Last edited by Mozza706; 21 January 2013, 20:39.

Could be that the timing belt has skipped a tooth or two knocking the fuel pump timing out. (diesel knock noise)

When you say it broke down, do you mean the engine just stalled or stopped abruptly? (seized)

Comment

Well, I was stopped at traffic lights and when I went to pull away it stalled, I managed to get it to a safe spot then started it up again....got it outside the house which was only10 mins away and it stopped again and rolled the last few feet. :s

Comment

It sounds very similar to what happened to my L200 a couple of months ago as a belt snapped and wrapped around the timing belt causing it to slip and stalling the truck
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I'll get my head under the bonnet and have a look tomorrow, I'll check any checkable areas of belts etc. however this doesn't cover the issue of it possibly having a fuelling problem does it....reference the having to prime the fuel filter for ease of starting. Never had to do this up until a few months back. Appreciating all the posts guys, thank you.

Comment

if your having to prime the filter before starting then i would say the primer membrane has probably gone
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

My vote goes for injectors. One rather than all. One dodgy injector.
              Сви можемо

Comment

I had read that it could be that...is it a simple overhaul or am I best to buy a new filter bracket etc?? I've read that people get around the problem by fitting a non return valve pre-filter an leave it at that :s

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                  My vote goes for injectors. One rather than all. One dodgy injector.
                  How do I go about checking the injectors?? Disconnect one at a time?? But I fear the truck won't idle for too long without clonking out

Comment

Working...
                  X