Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead

Hello
    I have bought on Friday built 1993 my Toyota Hilux 2.4 TD and had to drive only still times back to Germany.

The Hilux is all the time to Dover then run of Calais up to me without problems, (nearly 700 miles) but yesterday morning I got a traffic jam I da is I increased the temperature display equal to the heating very warm and the fan at the highest level but it happened nothing. When I was on the hard shoulder, I've looked after the water level, which is optimal.

Then I when drive noted (some time later) that when I came under 3000 turn he has become warm, and at 3100 RPM it then cooled.

Now my question: it could be that the water pump is defective? and if so where is it exactly and which do I need, or yet something else exists.

Hope you can help me!

Greeting

Martin
    Red Monster, KZN130 3,0 Litre Diesel

Originally posted by Peebles05 View Post
    Hello
    I have bought on Friday built 1993 my Toyota Hilux 2.4 TD and had to drive only still times back to Germany.

The Hilux is all the time to Dover then run of Calais up to me without problems, (nearly 700 miles) but yesterday morning I got a traffic jam I da is I increased the temperature display equal to the heating very warm and the fan at the highest level but it happened nothing. When I was on the hard shoulder, I've looked after the water level, which is optimal.

Then I when drive noted (some time later) that when I came under 3000 turn he has become warm, and at 3100 RPM it then cooled.

Now my question: it could be that the water pump is defective? and if so where is it exactly and which do I need, or yet something else exists.

Hope you can help me!

Greeting

Martin
    Hello

Start with the basics
    When you say the level is optimal do you mean the level is half way up the expansion tank or is it full?
    Did you check the coolant level in the expansion tank or at the filler cap?

With the cabin heater on hot can you hear gurgling or bubbling noises from the water?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      Hello

Start with the basics
      When you say the level is optimal do you mean the level is half way up the expansion tank or is it full?
      Did you check the coolant level in the expansion tank or at the filler cap?

With the cabin heater on hot can you hear gurgling or bubbling noises from the water?
      Hello
      the reservoir is full up top, and rather less has been (not full) on the small cover on the motor,
      When I turned off the engine then here I heard a bubbling noise.

Greeting

Comment

The coolant tank is not the best place to check the coolant level from.
        When the engine is cold take off the pressure cap and see what the level is there you should be able to see the coolant.

Overheating when stood still is not a good thing I guess you were not towing anything?

The temperature cooled back down yes?

With the engine running are you getting any fizzing or bubbles in the coolant tank?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

OK thank you,.

I'll go right to the car and still look after the water level (because the engine is so cold)
          Will then sometimes start the engine to see what happens. I sometimes make photos to show it better.

Comment

Pictures are always good

It would not hurt to check all the belts and fluids while you have your bonnet open

Have a look here too
            http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/index.htm
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hello

so now I've seen after all liquids (oils) and also pictures of the white water tank and the water filling a clip made for the engine. The white reservoir is now not longer quite half full and time I've run the engine. As is not suggested I drove a few meters to see what happens now, it's so I've ridden all 35 km without half the temperature on the display went.
              When I made the motor then I heard how it blubberte in the white tank, what can this be, or don't like the Toyota of Germany (which I can understand)

Greeting
              Martin

I hope you realize what in the photos!
              Attached Files

Comment

You should have coolant in the white tank.
                Did you see any coolant in the white tank?

I have mine filled about half way, then I can tell if it is losing water, the overflow tank is there to catch the water that is extra to the cooling system needs.
                As the water gets hotter it expands and the expansion tank is there to catch this water, when the system cools down it is supposed to suck this water back into the cooling system.

You need to put some coolant into the expansion tank probably about half full.

I cant quite see from the pictures but is the water oily or just brown from rust?
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hello
                  first thank you.

The water is slightly rusty (will still complete the water make new). The white tank is not half full, would say about 1/3 only, which is probably too little, he may not be well also but completely full.

Now, I will fill up with water and drive again. Let's see what then is because he so as I already wrote today perfectly run is (no overheating).

Just a real mystery.

Greeting
                  Martin

Comment

The cooling system is not overly complicated but it is very important to have it working correctly.

Just keep an eye on the water level over the next week or so, check with the engine cold at the pressure cap.

If you need to top it up either you have an airlock or a leak.Just remember if you are topping up the water a lot you will be diluting any anti freeze that you may have left.

Air locks, leaks and all things 2.4 coolant system are covered extensively on the forum, especially on the 2.4

Common leak points are the hose clips especially if the original wire type, the rear heater pipes (if fitted) corrode.
                    If it is a leak don't be surprised if you think you have it sorted then it starts leaking again this time from somewhere else, generally after fixing one leak it will put pressure on the next weak point....
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hello

so now I have renewed yesterday the entire cooling system and since I did again a good 70 miles and it's all in order. I would like to know what it was on Friday night.

The thickness makes me somehow finished but it is super easy to ride. Now, I have only one question after a trailer hitch for the Toyota Hilux.

Still, a nice new year to all.
                      Greeting

Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X