2.4 Big Trouble (still)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Big Trouble (still)

Hi there, Can anyone help ,last october i bought a 1993 td efi toyota hilux surf with a blown turbo,well i was told it was just the turbo blown and everything else was ok,which was a lie. a friend refurbed the turbo, but when we started it up it was blowing out black and grey smoke, ive just put a new head and new valves on it,new head gasket,new water pump because the head was cracked in two places and valves were knackered ouch,went to start it up and it woultnt start at first but when we did get it going it revved right up and had to put it in gear and stall it because revs woud have gone through the roof tried turning engine off with the key but it did nothing , could anyone please help me,ive spent so much money on it i could cry,ive now been told it could b a seal in the fuel pump,i dont know what or who to believe anymore,could anyone please please help me.Thank you.

Are you sure the Turbo is ok? if its leaking enough oil the motor will run on that regardless of throttle.

The spill control valve will shut off fuel when key off (assuming its working ok) so it must be getting a fuel supply from somewhere else.

Also the the flaps in the intake should close when turned off, they do actually have a 'runaway' prevention feature to stop this very thing happening so something must be wrong somewhere.

I'd go back to basics, check your throttle cable, TPS connections, all the vacuum pipes and plugs on pump.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

2.4 Big Trouble (still)

Thanks mate i'm really grateful for your input am going to try all of your suggestions i'll let you know how i get on. Thanks again.

Comment

throtle

sounds to me that you got the accelerator
        set wide open
        the old git

Comment

big trouble throttle

Thanks mate, sorry mate. im a bit thick when it comes to cars ,i have a 2.4 efi td engine, its a 1993 model.how do you mean the throttle is set open.and could you possibly explain how i can set it up so its right please. my mechanic told me that when he looked it was wide open, could this mean i possably need a new throttle body or a fuse or something.

Comment

Big trouble throttle

Hi again, do you know if there is an electric lift fuel pump from the tank,as the mechanic i use said it could b a fuel pump problem.i really hope it isnt, ive almost run out of money now. Thanks for your input mate.

Comment

pump

no lectric pump on them if yer throtle is wide open
              its down to the cables from the peddle to throtle body
              on you got the kick down cable snarled up take the cables off
              the throtle body and see if she ticks over if it does sort the
              cables out
              the old git

Comment

Originally posted by greebo1 View Post
                when we did get it going it revved right up and had to put it in gear and stall it because revs woud have gone through the roof tried turning engine off with the key but it did nothing
                This part about your original post still concerns me. This behaviour is generally a sign of oil leaking into the cylinders. Once a diesel starts, if it's being fed oil, it'll just keep revving til it blows. As Tony said, it could be the spill valve causing it not to stop AND a wide open throttle/jammed intake flaps, but you mentioned it had a knacked turbo before....could there still be oil in the cylinders and intake system?

Comment

Is it throwing alot of blue smoke out? I agree with last post. Either broke turbo or still engine oil in intake system
                  What comes around goes around!!

Comment

thankyou for all your helpfull advise,ill get back to my mechanic and see what happens.ill b in touch.

Comment

Working...
                    X