Does biodiesel or veg oil improve emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does biodiesel or veg oil improve emissions

Does biodiesel or veg oil improve emissions ?

Who do you ask? If you are friendly with any local MOT stations they may test it for free and you can be 100% sure.

I would say higher as it doesn't burn as well apparently.
    Last edited by Rob5464; 23 October 2012, 00:16.

Comment

The above answer is pretty misleading. There is nothing wrong with how biodiesel burns. If the fuel has been made correctly it burns as well as any other comparable fuel. As for emissions, see here, for one example:
      http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_nox.html

Comment

I did say apparently, I have been told there is not as much energy in it but of course I can't be certain. If the OP goes to a garage with an emissions tester and tests it when its running on regular and then bio he can be certain. I would recommend SA motors in Halifax as one of the mechanics is my mate. Not sure if they have a tester though would have to ask.

Comment

I read somewhere that the emissions are far better than regular diesel (but can't remember where, sorry ), with bio diesel. Not sure about pure veg oil though.

I do know that initially once you start using bio diesel it cleans out your engine, fuel tank etc of gunk and carbon deposits because bio diesel is more of a solvent than regular diesel is which gives it its cleaning properties. This is reason you have to do a few fuel filter changes fairly frequently once you convert to pure BD.

I'll try and dig out the stuff I researched and post links when I get a minute.
          Leaky Surf

Comment

Bio

I just wondered that's all really.

Comment

I knew I would come across this again in the near future - I have it and a good deal more about biodiesel in my computer files:

1. Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel in the USA to complete EPA Tier I Health Effects Testing under section 211(b) of the Clean Air Act, which provide the most thorough inventory of environmental and human health effects attributes that current technology will allow.

2. Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel that runs in any conventional, unmodified diesel engine. It can be stored anywhere that petroleum diesel fuel is stored.

3. Biodiesel can be used alone or mixed in any ratio with petroleum diesel fuel. The most common blend is a mix of 20% biodiesel with 80% petroleum diesel, or "B20."

4. The lifecycle production and use of biodiesel produces approximately 80% less carbon dioxide emissions, and almost 100% less sulphur dioxide. Combustion of biodiesel alone provides over a 90% reduction in total unburned hydrocarbons, and a 75-90% reduction in aromatic hydrocarbons. Biodiesel further provides significant reductions in particulates and carbon monoxide than petroleum diesel fuel. Biodiesel provides a slight increase or decrease in nitrogen oxides depending on engine family and testing procedures. Based on Ames Mutagenicity tests, biodiesel provides a 90% reduction in cancer risks.

5. Biodiesel is 11% oxygen by weight and contains no sulphur. The use of biodiesel can extend the life of diesel engines because it is more lubricating than petroleum diesel fuel, while fuel consumption, auto ignition, power output, and engine torque are relatively unaffected by biodiesel.

6. Biodiesel is safe to handle and transport because it is as biodegradable as sugar, 10 times less toxic than table salt, and has a high flashpoint of about 125°C compared to petroleum diesel fuel, which has a flash point of 55°C.

7. Biodiesel can be made from domestically produced, renewable oilseed crops such as soybeans, canola, cottonseed, rice bran and mustard seed.

8. Biodiesel is a proven fuel with over 30 million successful US road miles, and over 20 years of use in Europe.

9. When burned in a diesel engine, biodiesel replaces the exhaust odour of petroleum diesel with the pleasant smell of fried chicken or fish and chips.

10. The Congressional Budget Office, and Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and others have determined that biodiesel is the low cost alternative fuel option for fleets to meet requirements of the Energy Policy Act.

Biodiesel Usage
              Basic Terminology: Biodiesel is the pure, or 100 percent, biodiesel fuel. It is referred to as B100 or "neat" fuel.

A biodiesel blend is pure biodiesel blended with petrodiesel. Biodiesel blends are referred to as Bxx. The xx indicates the amount of biodiesel the blend (i.e., a B20 blend is 20 percent biodiesel and 80 percent petrodiesel).

Ensure the neat biodiesel fuel meets the biodiesel specification for pure biodiesel before blending with petrodiesel. The specification for biodiesel is designed to ensure that consumers will not experience operational problems from the fuel’s use. Make sure that biodiesel meets this specification and that the fuel supplier will warrant this fact. Quality fuel will provide the consumer with improved air quality and enhanced operability. Poor quality fuel will create operability problems and increased maintenance activity. Purchase only qualified fuel from a reputable source.

Check fuel filters on the vehicles and in the delivery system frequently upon initial biodiesel use and change them as necessary. Biodiesel and biodiesel blends have excellent solvent properties. In some cases the use of petrodiesel leaves a deposit in the bottom of fueling lines, tanks, and delivery systems over time. The use of biodiesel can dissolve this sediment and result in the need to change filters more frequently when first using biodiesel, until the whole system has been cleaned of the deposits left by the petrodiesel.

Be aware of biodiesel's freezing properties and take precautions in cold weather. A 20 percent blend of biodiesel with petrodiesel raises the freezing properties approximately 6 or 7ºC (pour point, cloud point, cold filter plugging point). In most cases, this has not been an issue. Solutions to biodiesel winter operability problems are the same solutions used with conventional petrodiesel (use a pour point depressant, blend with petro-diesel, use engine block or fuel filter heaters on the engine, store the vehicles near or in a building, etc.). Neat biodiesel will begin to freeze at about 2-3ºC and, if used or stored on site, will need to be kept in an area that will not get below that temperature. Most underground tanks are around 10ºC and are not a problem. However some gelling can take place at temperatures above 2-3ºC, depending upon the feedstock.

Wipe painted surfaces immediately when using biodiesel. As mentioned earlier, biodiesel is a good solvent. Biodiesel can, if left on a painted surface long enough, dissolve certain types of paints. Therefore it is recommended to wipe any biodiesel or biodiesel blend spills from painted surfaces immediately.

Store biodiesel or biodiesel blend soaked rags in a safety can to avoid spontaneous combustion. Biodiesel soaked rags should be stored in a safety can or dried individually to avoid the potential for spontaneous combustion. Biodiesel is made from vegetable oils and animal fats that can oxidize and degrade over time. The oxidizing process can produce heat. In certain environments, for example, a pile of oil soaked rags can become concentrated enough to result in a spontaneous fire. Most Australian geographical locations can be subject to this.

Use the biodiesel within one year. All fuels have a shelf life including biodiesel and biodiesel blends. Industry experts recommend that biodiesel be used within one year to ensure that the quality of the fuel is maintained. Storage time does not impact biodiesel distribution, given biodiesel’s production logistics. Biodiesel is generally not stored for long periods of time. Production levels and rates are established to meet demand (similar to "just in time" inventory methods). This is an advantage enjoyed by renewable fuels, like biodiesel, that cannot be shared by its fossil fuel counterparts.

The overall ozone (smog) forming potential of biodiesel is less than diesel fuel. The ozone forming potential of the speciated hydrocarbon emissions was nearly 50 percent less than that measured for diesel fuel.

Sulphur emissions are essentially eliminated with pure biodiesel. The exhaust emissions of sulphur oxides and sulfates (major components of acid rain) from biodiesel were essentially eliminated compared to sulphur oxides and sulphates from diesel.

Criteria pollutants are reduced with biodiesel use. The use of biodiesel in an unmodified Cummins N14 diesel engine resulted in substantial reductions of unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter. Emissions of nitrogen oxides were slightly increased.

Carbon Monoxide - The exhaust emissions of carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas) from biodiesel were 50 percent lower than carbon monoxide emissions from diesel.

Particulate Matter - Breathing particulate has been shown to be a human health hazard. The exhaust emissions of particulate matter from biodiesel were 30 percent lower than overall particulate matter emissions from diesel.

Hydrocarbons - The exhaust emissions of total hydrocarbons (a contributing factor in the localized formation of smog and ozone) were 93 percent lower for biodiesel than diesel fuel.

Nitrogen Oxides - NOx emissions from biodiesel increase or decrease depending on the engine family and testing procedures. NOx emissions (a contributing factor in the localized formation of smog and ozone) from pure (100%) biodiesel increased in this test by 13 percent. However, biodiesel’s lack of sulphur allows the use of NOx control technologies that cannot be used with conventional diesel. So, biodiesel NOx emissions can be effectively managed and efficiently eliminated as a concern of the fuel’s use.

Biodiesel reduces the health risks associated with petroleum diesel. Biodiesel emissions showed decreased levels of PAH and nitrited PAH compounds that have been identified as potential cancer causing compounds. In the recent testing, PAH compounds were reduced by 75 to 85 percent, with the exception of benzo(a)anthracene, which was reduced by roughly 50 percent. Targeted nPAH compounds were also reduced dramatically with biodiesel fuel, with 2-nitrofluorene and 1-nitropyrene reduced by 90 percent, and the rest of the nPAH compounds reduced to only trace levels.

Comment

A good read there, a few important points I will keep in mind.

Comment

You could quite easily compare this with last years MOT, emissions sheet against
                  this years MOT Emissions sheet (with the addition of some SVO)

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                  X