Land Cruiser LJ 70 2.4td Timing Belt Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Cruiser LJ 70 2.4td Timing Belt Swap

I'm just about to replace the timing belt 1992 2.4TD 2L-T engine. Have removed radiator, all obstructing pipes but I'm stuck at the crank pulley, the bolt won't shift.

Is there anyone near Halifax who is good with these engines?
    Last edited by Yorkshire Devil; 8 October 2012, 18:53. Reason: Misc

Originally posted by Yorkshire Devil View Post
    I'm just about to replace the timing belt 1992 2.4TD 2L-T engine. Have removed radiator, all obstructing pipes but I'm stuck at the crank pulley, the bolt won't shift.

Is there anyone near Halifax who is good with these engines?
    My memory of doing this is hazy, but to remove the bolt I think you're talking about, I put a set of chain grips on the pulley so when I turn the bolt the handle of the chain grips caught on the water pump (I think it was the water pump). I also had to use a snipe to get enough leverage to remove the bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Monolithic View Post
      I put a set of chain grips on the pulley so when I turn the bolt the handle of the chain grips caught on the water pump (I think it was the water pump). I also had to use a snipe to get enough leverage to remove the bolt.
      Do not do that as you will damage the Harmonc Balancer. Remove the two pulleys from front of Harmonic Balancer. A bit of flat bar with a large centre hole and smaller holes for the pulley location is the best, so you can rest the bar on the chassis or other suitable point and undo the bolt. Other than that you can wedge a piece of bar against a lug in centre and do it that way. The other option is a breaker bar resting on passenger side chassis and quickly hit the starter to break the bolt loose. Use care when doing this though, as things could go wrong if you don't get it right.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
        Do not do that as you will damage the Harmonc Balancer. Remove the two pulleys from front of Harmonic Balancer. A bit of flat bar with a large centre hole and smaller holes for the pulley location is the best, so you can rest the bar on the chassis or other suitable point and undo the bolt. Other than that you can wedge a piece of bar against a lug in centre and do it that way. The other option is a breaker bar resting on passenger side chassis and quickly hit the starter to break the bolt loose. Use care when doing this though, as things could go wrong if you don't get it right.

Nev
        Yeah, I was told that I probably shouldn't do it that way, but in my defence I had no idea what I doing and was running out of time to fix it.

I really like your flat bar idea, at the rate I'm racking up kilometers (over 40,000 since April) I will probably have to do my timing belt again next year and will definitely be using this option.

Comment

Working...
        X