Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dripping diesel

Hi,

I am unusually losing a fair amount of fuel!
    Then I noticed, and smelled and inspected the drips. It's diesel.
    And It's not dripping from the fuel filter.

I wonder where it could be coming from?
    My friend says it might be the fuel pump? I said whaaaaat? How come, it's not even the mechanical type.

Fuel lines are ok.
    I just can't pinpoint where in the engine the fuel drip is sourced.

Not sure if ya have access to a degreaser, but ya need to wash down the engine with degreaser n let it dry off ..... a mirror might be handy but the process is one of elimination n may take some time .....
    Check all fuel line clips / pipes are also tight !!
    Good luck

11+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by mj1226 View Post
      I wonder where it could be coming from?
      My friend says it might be the fuel pump? I said whaaaaat? How come, it's not even the mechanical type.
      They are all mechanical in operation and all have seals, so why do you not think it can leak?

Nev

Edit: Spelling
      Last edited by NiftyNev; 20 September 2012, 09:38.

Comment

My Surf started leaking diesel from the pump last year, as it got colder the leak got worse. Have a look around the injection pump (passenger side of engine) as they are seemingly quite common to leak from there. Some of the seals can be done without removing the pump, but mine had to come out anyways as it was the rear seal. I have heard people replace the rear one without removing the pump, but I just picked up a non leaky 2nd hand one.

Hope that helps a bit.

DM

Comment

Rear one requires pump removal unless you want the internals of the pum dissappearing into your engine bay
          well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
            Rear one requires pump removal unless you want the internals of the pum dissappearing into your engine bay
            Aye what he said... try having a look at the top seal first as you may be lucky and its that one, if not well you're in the same boat as me and.....well it looks a right pig to take the pump off (had a look and cant seem to see all the fixings and to be honest might need to be a garage job as im now lacking a garage & the weather is crap out)

Rob
            The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

forgive my lacking the proper information. I just thought that Electronic Fuel Injected Pumps dont bugdown like mechanical ones that have o-rings and such.

And At one point, I may have slightly seen a sheem, gleeming film that I though was water but it must have beeen the diesel lying ontop of a portion of the fuelpump.

I will take it to a gas station garage near where I am to search for the dreaded leak!
              A dude can lose so much diesel at any point, especially when parked. and you end up spending so much buying diesel.

And yes, degreasing spray is an awesome idea and wash the enginebay down. I think I will need 2 cannisters I guess.

Is that normal wear-n-tear? this incident that is happening now?

Thanks a whole bunch fellas!
              You guys are great! thanks!

Comment

aye well unless it has been replaced, 19 odd years is a long time to pump stuff about and also dependant if you are running a mix or not.

This was of help to me http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelpump.htm

Good luck and hope its just the top bit.

Rob
                The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                  I'm sure I read someone on here did it without removing the pump, but for me it was just way easier to get stuck in and replace the whole pump. Good opportunity to change the timing belt and tensioner at the same time, and dispose of the non working AC gubbins

Comment

Thanks so much for the input and link Wiggy! I really really appreciate the help.

I saw the leak and it's definitely somewhere from the fuel pump body/housing, whatever it is called.

somehow it likes to leak alot when I've loaded up diesel like 1/4 to almost 1/2 on the guage. It drips a lot when I'm warming up my surf and when I just parked and engine stoped. I have not checked whether it drips stongly during idle when parked coming from travel.

I just load up diesel by tiny amounts usually by 2-4 litres.

I have not worked on it yet but maybe around next week, I will post pics soon.
                    Last edited by mj1226; 25 September 2012, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by DMAudio View Post
                      I'm sure I read someone on here did it without removing the pump, but for me it was just way easier to get stuck in and replace the whole pump. Good opportunity to change the timing belt and tensioner at the same time, and dispose of the non working AC gubbins

The pump seems to be just right beside the engine somewhat near the intake manifolds. I don't see the opportunity to change the timing belt as you are saying. Could you be referring to a waterpump replacement may be? There that is a clear opportunity for a timing belt replacement. I just replaced my tensioner bearing very recently. I am looking to replace my brake caliper, ordering from Aisin, hopefully they got some.

What A/C gubbins are you talking about? Please do tell, I am all ears. (eyes technically speaking since we converse via posts)

Comment

Originally posted by mj1226 View Post
                        The pump seems to be just right beside the engine somewhat near the intake manifolds. I don't see the opportunity to change the timing belt as you are saying. Could you be referring to a waterpump replacement may be? There that is a clear opportunity for a timing belt replacement. I just replaced my tensioner bearing very recently. I am looking to replace my brake caliper, ordering from Aisin, hopefully they got some.

What A/C gubbins are you talking about? Please do tell, I am all ears. (eyes technically speaking since we converse via posts)
                        As I mentioned, I removed my fuel pump to replace it, and to do so requires removal of the timing belt.

As for the AC, mine never worked anyway, so I took the opportunity to remove the air-con pump, radiator and associated pipework. It saves a bit of weight and gives a bit more room in the engine bay.

Comment

thank you so much for the valuable responses and help everyone!
                          I will be posting some pics in a few days. Still drippin some diesel. Haven't had the opportunity to start the troubleshooting/repair yet.
                          see you soon folks.

Comment

Working...
                          X