Weird Rumbling Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Rumbling Noise

Hi guys, long time no see! Hope you're all doing good! Finally found the time to actually post something on here! Unfortunately, it's a request for help! No, I'm not going to be one of those guys that only stops by when they want something! But I do need your help. The Surf is a 1991 (H) LN130, it's the pre-facelift model with the 2.4 engine. It's been fine, but suddenly (very suddenly) I am noticing a serious rumble which seems to be coming from the back end when I reach about 35-40MPH. It feels similar to what you get if your front wheels are seriously out of balance, only at the back, and much more pronounced. This appeared literally over night, not after a heavy off roading session or anything. So far I have checked the diff oil, which is OK, lifted it up and shaken and rotated the rear wheels, and all seems to be ok, or at least not noticeably malfunctioning. I noticed the bump stop on the R/H rear spring has fallen off (it's still inside the spring rattling around on the bottom) which of course I will fix but I doubt this is the problem as the shuddering/rumbling is quite severe, you can both hear and feel it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any light you guys can shed!

Propshaft UJs?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Or an out of shape tyre
      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far guys - I forgot to mention there is some slop in the propshaft and it hadn't seen the grease gun for a while so I greased her up. The tyres look fine condition wise, although it's not impossible for this to be the problem. This is actually my mothers partners Surf, not my own, I could swap the wheels with mine to check I guess.

Comment

Propshaft UJ it was

Comment

Working...
          X