Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil

Hi guys

I have been looking online at what oil to use for the surf and it says 10 w40 semi syn on one site, but my Mrs step dad is a mechanic and says it will run ok with this oil but there are better ones out there, is this correct or just blab lol

any help appreciated

cheers sy

Its fine providing you keep to the regular 5000 km change period
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
      Its fine providing you keep to the regular 5000 km change period
      cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sy281184 View Post
        Hi guys

I have been looking online at what oil to use for the surf and it says 10 w40 semi syn on one site, but my Mrs step dad is a mechanic and says it will run ok with this oil but there are better ones out there, is this correct or just blab lol
        LOL .....yeah thats just blab.

viscosity wise factory spec is 10w30 winter, 10w40 summer.
        but what is more important is what grade. i think factory spec was CD grade which i doubt you will even find these days as its been superseded. CF is about the lowest grade. CH is the more common now. avoid CJ.
        what you have to watch is some of the latest oils have removed some additives which tend to clog up cat converters. but there is some debate about how good the replacement additives are especially in older engines.

if your in a cold country/aera i would even look at 5w spec oil. far better cold startup and running when its cold.

full synthetic oil would be good but not really suitable for a worn engine that burns a bit of oil.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
          LOL .....yeah thats just blab.

viscosity wise factory spec is 10w30 winter, 10w40 summer.
          but what is more important is what grade. i think factory spec was CD grade which i doubt you will even find these days as its been superseded. CF is about the lowest grade. CH is the more common now. avoid CJ.
          what you have to watch is some of the latest oils have removed some additives which tend to clog up cat converters. but there is some debate about how good the replacement additives are especially in older engines.

if your in a cold country/aera i would even look at 5w spec oil. far better cold startup and running when its cold.

full synthetic oil would be good but not really suitable for a worn engine that burns a bit of oil.
          cheers matey

Comment

Working...
          X