2.4 inj pump removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 inj pump removal

Quick question before I tear out the remainder of my hair. I have everything removed and the pump flopping around, but it just will not go back far enough to clear the pulley shaft so I can get it out. I have removed the 2 bolts at the rear bracket so the bracket is still attached to the pump, but I just cant get in to unbolt the bracket from the rear of the pump. It looks to me that it'd be possible with the starter removed.

So do I just need to persevere with the bracket or should I just take the starter out? I really cant tell if it will clear even with the bracket off!

DM

Removing the inj. pump

I removed mine last week, same engine, to replace the two 'O' rings in the side plates, lower pump. It was leaking fuel. Pump came out without taking off the rear bracket (i.e. removing the bracket from the pump, just unbolting the bracket (real b**t**d to do) from the crank case. By lifting the rear of the pump first I managed to - just - get it out. I considered taking out the starter at one stage but managed without this. I completely removed the fuel lines to injectors to get more space
    By leaving the rear bracket fitted to the pump it helps keep the pump's timing when you come to refit it. I know one's supposed to scribe a mark for timing but the mark's not easy to see with engine in the car. I make a scribe mark anyway and it all lined up without having to turn the pump at all.
    PS - I don't have an EGR anymore, perhaps that makes a difference to space?

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the reply bud! I managed to get the bracket off by modifying a spanner to get between the injector pipe outlets. With the bracket off it came out pretty easy I must say. I figured I'd ask since it's one of those jobs where you figure there must be a trick to it .

I'm fitting a replacement pump I got from Vince as mine was leaking out the rear seal, and I didn't fancy the cost of sending mine off for refurb, so hopefully the scribe marks (which seem to be in the same place on both pumps) help it to time correctly. It was always a gutless motor anyways, so it can't get any worse unless it starts smoking! :P

DM

Comment

Working...
      X