speedo & keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo & keys

Just bought my first surf last friday( previous car a kia ) went off road saturday( well a local gravel car park).

First problem is that the dealer said it did not need an sva as it is more than 10 years old (is this right?) so this means that the speedo only reads in kmh. Can anyone advise me of the cheapest/quickest/easiest way to convert the speedo to read mph (too many of them nasty gatsos to risk misreading a kmh speedo)

The second problem is that i only have one remote key. The dealer said that toyota couldn't read the transponder to supply me with a spare. If my key goes wrong it could cost loads to renew the whole system. Any one got any ideas?

Only found this site the weekend, its fantastic, I've already found answers to lots of my questions by looking thru the forums.

Thanks everyone.

[SIZE=5]martin [/SIZE]
    [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=lime]Where Pilgrims climb may grecians fall[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Hi there,
    yes as your truck is over 10 years old you do not need an SVA
    test.
    To convert the speedometer you can buy a new face for the speedo
    in MPH you can get them from Milner Off Road,or I think you can
    buy a converter to go on ot the gearbox.I would surgest the new
    face myself.
    Can not give any advice on the locking problem but I sure
    someone on here will know something.
    Hope this helps Cheers Chris
    GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

my key is just plain with no gizmos and i was talking to Rob this weekend and he has 3 different keys, some with and some without... doesn't seem to have a problem so i'd imagine just getting a new key cut at mister minit would work.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
        my key is just plain with no gizmos and i was talking to Rob this weekend and he has 3 different keys, some with and some without... doesn't seem to have a problem so i'd imagine just getting a new key cut at mister minit would work.

my key has got the buttons for the remote central locking & alarm/immobiliser. thanks anyway
        [SIZE=5]martin [/SIZE]
        [B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=lime]Where Pilgrims climb may grecians fall[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

Comment

when i bought my surf about a year ago the dealer converted the speedo to mph for me. this has had some draw backs as i have lost the ability to use the little go faster button on the centre console due to the conversion. he says it doesnt make any difference anyway, but i dont know cause ive never had it to know the difference. also im not that sure that its reading correctly either seems to be a bit slower than its reading, so maybe a stick on guage would be best, by the way anyone reading this that knows the diff the go faster button makes let me know it might be worth converting mine back to kmh and getting stick on guage too, thanx.

Comment

hmmm... that's wierd... mine is a conversion and the ect button don't do nowt... dunno why it would be affected though??
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I think the little button you are on about is to hold it in that
              gear a little longer,to help with the acceleration.
              If you drive it "normal" you wont find much difference,it may
              save you a few pence in fule.I leave mine on all the time
              as I the nice orange light on the dash??????????
              Chris
              GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

KEY and speedo

i only got ONE none gizmo key from my supplier - said thats how they come in off the boat. no CDL remote - wondering if its available or how i would get....hmmmmm (2nd gen i think). got a basic key cut as spare.

Speedo in Km's and fairly simple to do a conversion table - i keep in the car till i get use to it. Funny lot us brit's - buy in ltrs - drive in mile's- meassure in both......lol
                i also hear there are some "stick on dash" kinda stickers.....

Iv decided to leave mine....

Comment

why would ect not work after speedo conversion?

weird !!!! man!

take care

Chris

Comment

You will get used to the KM speedo.

Just remember that

50 km/h = 30 mph
                    65 km/h = 40 mph
                    80 km/h = 50 mph
                    100 km/h = 62 mph
                    110 km/h = 68 mph

and with the speedo error in your favour you wont be speeding.

The 'go faster' ECT button is for holding the gears longer when accelerating. Most useful when towing so the gearbox won't change up too soon causing the engine to labour. And believe me - it makes a difference.
                    You will not see the difference when driving normally so i would assume it is still functioning and you just dont realise.
                    Last edited by icsys; 25 August 2004, 19:40.
                    Ian
                    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Yeah I got 3 original keys with mine.

Main key with remote central locking buttons.
                      Second key with just a plastic fob.
                      Spare/emergency key - flat metal key with no plastic.

If I loose the remote I just open the car manually with another key (no alarm).

Only problem then will be trying to get another factory remote key ....

Comment

Icsys

Totally agree with you ICSYS, wait till you are towing and then change between ECT on and off and there is a big difference in revs and changing up and down gears.
                        [SIZE=7]The Crafty Carper[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                        X