Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head failure?

Hi all
    I think my Surf has finally lost it's head.
    I have been getting intermittent blue smoke out of the exhaust for a while now, more noticeable when pointing downhill. This would stop and start but eventually the last couple of days has remained.
    I have been keeping an eye on the coolant and looking for leaks between the oil and water.
    Tonigt coming home I noticed the electric cooling fan was running longer than normal, and as I pulled up the temperature did decide to climb into the red zone!!!
    If the head is shot am I better with a new head, a complete engine and autobox, or has anyone done a 3.0ltr conversion on the 2nd gen model.
    The whole vehicle is too good to scrap, just had new exhaust, and new shocks were going on this month.

Any ideas or experiences would be most appreciated.

Andy

how have you been checking your coolant levels?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I thought blue smoke was turbo related ?

Comment

Hi

Been checking water levels by keeping an eye on expansion vessel, rad cap off checking for air in system and ensuring heaters are blowing hot.

Have I missed anything?

PS Cooled enough to remove cap now, looks bone dry and alot of air in there. not a good sign
        Just added nearly 2 litres of hot water to system.........

Andy
        Last edited by Sparkie67; 19 July 2012, 17:53.

Comment

If the head is cracked and from a warmish engine, with the rad cap off would I get bubbles and compression gases showing in the filler neck ?

Comment

Fill it back up with coolant then get a combustion gas check done

It is the only way to be sure

If it was pressurising the coolant system it would be pushing water out of the coolant tank
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

You really don't need to change all the other stuff assuming its not noisey or dosn't use oil already, there is rarely anything wrong with the rest of the motor, fix the one issue they have and it'll go for years after.

Just make sure its done properly and with care, and it shouldn't cause any problems. The big deal is carefully cleaning the block deck (not with a wire brush in drill!!) and checking its perfectly flat, then being ultra careful lowering the head onto the gasket and most importantly religously follow head bolt tightening sequence.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just filled up water and run engine again, no blue smoke, but never is initially.

Water was surging out of filler neck with what appeared to be puffs of smoke, water not hot enough to be steaming yet. Also water was frothing, as though it had been filled with liquid soap.

Will get it topped up again and a gas test done, also best place for a replacement head, I have been buying my bits from roughtrax, unless anyone can suggest a different source.

Thanks to all the replies to date, it is most appreciated.

Comment

At this point, Id suggest the gas test is a waste of time and money
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                    At this point, Id suggest the gas test is a waste of time and money
                    I have to agree, i would think it's fooked, Roughtrax head kits are decent as i fitted one of the kits to mine, it hasn't used any water since! I also replaced the radiator at the same time as mine had gunk in the bottom.
                    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      The big deal is carefully cleaning the block deck (not with a wire brush in drill!!)

Interesting you should mention that - I've been trying to remember the grade of sandpaper Stevo told me to use on my 2.4's block to clean it up. (Should be getting the head for my 3.0 in the next couple of weeks )

I remember him saying to scrub it till it was all shiny and even..

Rob.

Comment

Hi

In turmoil now, looking at a possible head replacement cost of £1000 with all gaskets and new timing belt.
                        Is there much call for spares should I decide to scrap the vehicle and break it up. The car is only worth approx £1700 ish, but is in such a tidy condition with 135000 Km on the clock.
                        Do I throw the money at it or scrap it and buy a newer gen 3 or Landcruiser.

Decision decisions.

Comment

You won't get much of a LC or 3rd Gen for £1000, and if the surf does everything you want it to it the far cheaper option to fix it.

Its only worth about £3-400 with a duff head, than you need find £3k+ for a decent 3rd Gen, or more for a LC.

Use it a excuse to upgrade for sure, but its not really finacially sensible if you add it up.

Also a shame to bin a prefectly clean and good truck sometimes.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Weird happenings now, all fired up today ok, no smoke, seems to run fine apart from a little cracking noise coming from head. Ran it a little and left at fast idle on drive. Couldn't get it to smoke or boil over.

If the worst does happen, is a 2.4 lump from a UK Hilux pickup a suitable swap considering these were non turbo models. Would the block mate upto the autobox etc.

There was a lot of blowback from the oil filler cap which normally indicates worn rings if i'm not mistaken.

Does anyone know if anyone has a got a trash truck with good engine and box in that I could remove service then drop in mine?

Comment

Working...
                            X