Head gone AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gone AGAIN

Feeling really down now. She over heated on me last night. No warning, temp gauge didn't go into the red. I parked up, got out and that's when I saw the water dripping out from under the front, and heard the bubbling

Let her cool down whilst I went and got some water. Topped her up with 1 litre. Half hour later, over heated again, again the temp gauge only went to 3/4 of the way to the red. Another cool down, 2 litres of water this time.

(Heaters on full both times)

Let her cool down over night. Just started her up without her rad cap on, and hey presto, instant pressure, and coolant running down the road.

The head was only fitted 5 weeks ago. Last week she had another coolant flush and pressure test of the system.

Just spoke to Paul, the mechanic who did the the work, and he's having a look at her on Wednesday. The 'new' head is still under warrenty, but it's a major pain anyway, not having ant transport for the next 10 days.

Really quite upset to be honest, as was really looking forward to the show and bbq this weekend.

Hope you all have a good time, and drink a beer for me!
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Not good, may be a duff stat/rad cap they can give the same symptons of pressure straight away.
    Sad to say you missed a great weekend and we did consume one or two beers for you
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Thanks, definately woth a try before the head is removed again!

Milners here I come!

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
        Not good, may be a duff stat/rad cap they can give the same symptons of pressure straight away.
        Sad to say you missed a great weekend and we did consume one or two beers for you
        New stat & 1.1 bar cap fitted.

I let her warm up, and took her for a burn up the road, no over heating. Stopped, abd very minor bubbling for a min or two tops (unlike before: very rapid bubbling for 5 - 10 mins)

Hopefull just air working it's way out. I'll see what happens in the morning....

Comment

How much does it cost to sort out a prob head on the 2.4?

Matt

Comment

Mine costs £1,275 for parts and labour. FRom others experience on here, £1300 seems about average.

Comment

big jonah,

what was the outcome of new rad cap and thermostat ?

My head has just been replaced and I'm getting bubbling into expansion tank again but not as bad as before. Sent it back to the garage that did it today but am concerned that the head has gone again.

Can you let me know if yours is ok now ?

Cheers
              Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

I was experiencing overheating and using water since I got mine. Noticed a missing bit of seal on the rad-cap and got a new one. Hopefully sorted. Must have seriously boiled up on me about 6 times. One time i had to just drive it on, but seems ok now.

Comment

Working...
                X