temperature sensor connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temperature sensor connection?

I bought this http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=948 as the one on the wife's Surf had the grey plastic part snapped off.

Went to put it in today and noticed that the blue and white striped wire, that presumably should connect to it, had nothing on the end. I assume it is a spade connector that is required, but does anyone know what size and where to get the right one from?

many thanks

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
    I bought this http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=948 as the one on the wife's Surf had the grey plastic part snapped off.

Went to put it in today and noticed that the blue and white striped wire, that presumably should connect to it, had nothing on the end. I assume it is a spade connector that is required, but does anyone know what size and where to get the right one from?

many thanks
    I would probably imagine that the plug is/was still on the bit that snapped off.

The part you have listed is for the fan sensor switch,as your post is titled temperature sensor?

do you mean that you fitted this instead?http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=947

Either way any motor factors should be able to help you out with a spade connector.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      I would probably imagine that the plug is/was still on the bit that snapped off.

The part you have listed is for the fan sensor switch,as your post is titled temperature sensor?

do you mean that you fitted this instead?http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=149&vid=947

Either way any motor factors should be able to help you out with a spade connector.
      Ahhh - I sit corrected - it's the fan sensor switch which I have bought... I spent more time looking at the picture than the words before ordering it, apparently!

The plastic bit was long gone with what ever was connected to it before I was told to sort it out.

Thanks for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
        Ahhh - I sit corrected - it's the fan sensor switch which I have bought... I spent more time looking at the picture than the words before ordering it, apparently!

The plastic bit was long gone with what ever was connected to it before I was told to sort it out.

Thanks for your reply
        Just to check with the broken bit em broken the electric fan in front of the radiator runs all the time?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Just to check with the broken bit em broken the electric fan in front of the radiator runs all the time?

If the ignition/engine is on, yes.

Comment

how can you make it run all the time? sounds like a good idea, probably, mabye, hopefully, on a 2.4 anyway
            well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Unplug the switch, it fails safe.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The plot thickens as the fog clears.... the previous owner told me due to an overheating issue, that when he replaced the head he installed a manual switch to the fan (which is below the ignition switch on the dash) as a belt and braces approach to prevent further overheating.

When he told me this I nodded appreciatively but obviously naively, and have subsequently found that there was no automatic fan switch and no thermostat (which I fitted to today), so that may have been part of his problem...... or part of his cunning solution!!

I will at this point acknowledge the original engineers and say how much better it runs with a thermostat than without one!

Comment

So you have ditched the dash switch and have the fan coming on via the thermo switch ?

Seeing as you have gone that far it may be prudent to fit a new pressure cap unless you have done that all ready?
                  Have a search for viscous fan Having the silicone oil done could make a difference too.

Did you see any receipts for the head change?
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

So you have ditched the dash switch and have the fan coming on via the thermo switch ?

Seeing as you have gone that far it may be prudent to fit a new pressure cap unless you have done that all ready?
                    Have a search for viscous fan Having the silicone oil done could make a difference too.

Did you see any receipts for the head change?
                    Ohh the head is new alright - the engine was rebuilt over the last couple of months as a hole appeared in a piston 20 mins down the motorway from where we bought it!

The only reason I am replacing this sensor is because it was broken - I didn't realise that it was an either or scenario.

Comment

If you bought the switch with the grey plug then you will need the proper connector for it. If you are lucky you may get one from Toyota if they have the connector part numbers on hand. If not you are better off buying an aftermarket switch with a blade connector, at about a quarter of the price of the genuine one. It's just a switch after all and those are an outrageous price.

Nev

Comment

BTW the switch is a 97degC on 92degC off. 6.3mm (1/4") is the size of the blade connector, for the blade connector type.

Nev

Comment

Cheers Nev - yeah I bought the expensive Toyota one without a connector!

Comment

If you can get a look at a Toyota connector for your switch, have a look for some sort of number on it. If it has a 5 didgit number I may be able to tell you the genuine part number.

Be aware though that these parts will cost you your first born from Toyota if you can get one.

The other alternative is find someone breaking a Surf and ask them for the connector with some wiring attached and splice into yours.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                            X