Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Injection Pump Advice Needed!

Hi all,

Our Surf has been leaking diesel moderately from the injection pump for months now. We bought a second-hand pump from a breaker's, and today, after a tirade of swearing at the engine layout, my neighbour and I managed to remove the leaking pump. We're exactly halfway through the replacement.

What's nagging at me is the number of posts relating to injection pump problems, which makes me think it's a known design flaw. Obviously, with the work involved to get the pump out, I really don't want to dive into the engine bay again.

We were told that the pump on ours was leaking from a seam, not a seal, so that suggests full replacement is necessary. The old pump is caked in diesel, so I can't say for sure exactly where it's leaking from. I've read a fair bit about seal weakness and failures, which has got me thinking: 1) are there any serious design flaws with the pump, and 2) are there any preventative steps I can take with the pump out of the engine bay to avoid any more leaks?

Our Surf is a 1992 LN-130 import, 2.4TD with the 2L-TE engine and a Denso pump.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Gargravarr
    Last edited by gargravarr; 4 May 2012, 23:18.
    An unmuddy off-roader is an unloved off-roader!

It's a 20 year old pump with seals that need replacing - I'd hardly call that a design fault. Roughtrax sell a seal kit for your pump. If you're that worried buy it and fit it to the replacement pump and the truck will be taxed off the road before the seals go again..

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      It's a 20 year old pump with seals that need replacing - I'd hardly call that a design fault. Roughtrax sell a seal kit for your pump. If you're that worried buy it and fit it to the replacement pump and the truck will be taxed off the road before the seals go again..
      A well-made point, I keep forgetting the truck is 20 years old (I just think of it as being 1992)! I guess for the age, the seals going is fair game. It's done 200,000KM, so it needed the timing belt done anyway.

I'll look into the seal replacement - I found this thread:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41465

which raised the question initially, I was just uncertain if it applied to me.

Cheers,
      Gargravarr

Comment

Another thing to note is that a lot of people having trouble with leaky pumps here have been using veg oil.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
          Another thing to note is that a lot of people having trouble with leaky pumps here have been using veg oil.
          Yeah, I noticed that. We were considering using veg. oil, never did, and I don't think the truck's ever been run on it. Decided not to try after reading what happened to people who did!

Comment

Diesel contained sulphur which swelled seals. Down here they have dramatically reduced sulphur in diesel, so that means leaky pumps whether they are old or not. New diesel pumps have different seals.

Nev

Comment

Be really careful if you try and replace all the seals. The ones that go are on the plates either side of the pump, if I remember just small O rings, covered by a plate with two hex bolts. If you try and take the distribution head off the back of the pump (the bit where the all injector pipes screw into) you may find that everything pings out ...it consists of lots of springs and ball bearings. Most people only replace the side seals, but the kit you get will have everything in, you will only need the two O rings!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'll take it under advisement. Reading the post about replacing the common seals, I can replace two of the three with the pump in situ, so I'll take the chance, we've fitted the new pump as is.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X