wobbly idler arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wobbly idler arm

Can the idler arm bushes be replaced with it still bolted to the chassis?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

From experience it's easier to remove it ..... then you can assess if you can get away with bushes or need a new one.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
      From experience it's easier to remove it ..... then you can assess if you can get away with bushes or need a new one.

on the side of the casting there is a mark half way up/down
      suitable position for a grease nipple or is it not worth the effort?

I foolishly thought that the steering damper given to me by a very nice gentleman might sort out the steering wander,but with the amount of play in the idler arm I very much doubt there is any thing left of the bushings for the arm to bear against...(MOT due at the end of the month).
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
        on the side of the casting there is a mark half way up/down
        suitable position for a grease nipple or is it not worth the effort?

I foolishly thought that the steering damper given to me by a very nice gentleman might sort out the steering wander,but with the amount of play in the idler arm I very much doubt there is any thing left of the bushings for the arm to bear against...(MOT due at the end of the month).

Tried that mod the steel is poor and would not hold he nipple in the thread when grease was pumped in.

I believe the very nice man gave you a track rod end as well .......
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          Tried that mod the steel is poor and would not hold he nipple in the thread when grease was pumped in.

I believe the very nice man gave you a track rod end as well .......
          Thanks again that will save a bit of faffing around with me drill and taps.

so just wipe it off strip it down clean re-assemble and pack it full of grease,but if the rod is too rusted get a new one.

That very nice man did indeed.
          I gave the track rod ends a good tug and they all seem pretty good,the idler arm being fubarred makes sense now with the wandering steering.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

you can get rebuild kits for them on roughtrax but check it off the truck first as i have the same issue but its the ball joint on the idler at fault. just make sure theres no play in that first.
            well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Working...
            X