Head swap, won't start now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head swap, won't start now

So I swapped the head on my 2.4. I know the head is torqued properly and the timing is set right (checked it multiple times). I have good battery voltage and the vacuum pump is hooked up. The glow plugs are also hooked up and working properly I still left the A/C off and rad out to try to see if it starts. it just cranks and the tach jumps up to about 1000 rpm as it tries to start.

It seems that it isn't getting fuel to the injectors. when I pull the line off the injector and crank, no fuel comes out. I'm not 100% sure if the lines are in the right order on the back of the fuel pump, I just put them on where they lined up best.

I also did break a piece of a small brown thing below the intake. Just snapped the nipple off and epoxy'd it back on carefully not to block it off. It was a line from the intake and another that goes to the EGR.

All of the connectors are plugged in. Any ideas what to check?

EDIT: the fuel primer is nearly new and working properly, the fuel pump is also pretty new.
    Last edited by young-gunn; 16 April 2012, 06:52.

You may need to bleed the pump. Front top of pump, where fuel line from filter fits, is a bleed nipple.

http://s4.postimage.org/58v63q6nf/Bleed_Nipple.jpg

Fuel lines should be

looking at back of pump.

Nev

Comment

Bled the pump as you said and it fired right up. Thanks Nev!

I forgot I didn't have the trans lines hooked to the cooler, so now I've got a mess to clean up :p Just gotta put the rest together when I get home and it's good to go

Comment

With everything together it seems to stumble a bit at around 2000 rpm. I'm suspecting just air in the lines still. I need to replace a bolt for a tensioner that I broke and I will be able to test drive it tomorrow and hopefully it clears up. any ideas if it doesn't clear up?

I also left the a/c condenser out for now and capped the lines/zip tied them out of the way. I find it sits too low and also interferes with my trailmaster steering shock. I will probably convert it to onboard air soon anyways.

EDIT: put it all together and drove it. Runs great. I guess it was just some air in the fuel lines.
        Last edited by young-gunn; 20 April 2012, 17:33.

Comment

Working...
        X