Electric Fan and Cracked Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fan and Cracked Head

Possible covering some old ground but couldnt find a good answer in any other threads!!!

After my 2.4TD ceremoniously giving up the ghost on the motorway I got it home and diagnosed the (what seems to be fairly uncommon!!!!!!!) blown head. Anyway got the head off and 3 very visible cracks. So the head is going to a place in Hyde for me to get a new casting. While its off I thought it wise to get the rad flow and pressure tested.

results in today - Rad is blocked between 30-50%. I'd run a hose through it before and thought it was OK. So the rad is off being cored and serviced, they are fitting a thermostatic sensor for free and my question is

IS it worth fitting an electric fan instead of the viscous one? Any feedback appreciated

Originally posted by merybuck
    Possible covering some old ground but couldnt find a good answer in any other threads!!!

After my 2.4TD ceremoniously giving up the ghost on the motorway I got it home and diagnosed the (what seems to be fairly uncommon!!!!!!!) blown head. Anyway got the head off and 3 very visible cracks. So the head is going to a place in Hyde for me to get a new casting. While its off I thought it wise to get the rad flow and pressure tested.

results in today - Rad is blocked between 30-50%. I'd run a hose through it before and thought it was OK. So the rad is off being cored and serviced, they are fitting a thermostatic sensor for free and my question is

IS it worth fitting an electric fan instead of the viscous one? Any feedback appreciated
    If the viscous fan is working OK then it will provide more airflow than even the most powerful electric one so stick with it. Later 2nd gens had an auxiliary electric fan in front of the rad for cooling. On earlier ones, this fan doubled as AC fan and cooling fan. On the later ones, there are two AC fans on the radiator under the engine.

I'd stick with the Viscous one, but get some of the viscous oil from your local Toyota dealer and refill it, you can be sure it will do a good job then.
    Cheers

Comment

Working...
    X