yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell tale signs of a bodge? Or what does K-seal taste like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell tale signs of a bodge? Or what does K-seal taste like?

Hi,
    I have just bought a 1993 2.4TD which overheated on the motorway on the way home today. I had half an eye on the temp gauge on the way back and noticed immediately wisps of steam and dumped it on the hard shoulder. I got it recovered home. It appeared to be a leaky hose and a dodgy joint on another so after a word with the dealer I agreed to change these at his cost and let him know.
    After replacing a few joints and the 19mm hose directly under the filler housing I took it out for a spin. All well and good until a long but shallow hill. Put my foot down a bit and straight into the red after half a mile of this.
    Limped home (all downhill) but still in red - also headlamps stuck on which must a short through coolant showering I guess.
    He's on about picking it up and trying to fix it before talking about refunds. It was all goody goody on the test drive - all urban and low speeds though.

The oil in the sump appears extremely thin and clean so I'm guessing a good proportion of it is probably coolant. Appears normal under oil filler cap though.
    Obviously (I hope) he'll get the rad cap and stat changed first although if there's coolant in the sump I'm guessing the head gaskets gone.
    He's offered me a courtesy car too so being quite reasonable and I've told him I want a refund if its a big job - ie head cracked.
    Is there any way to to bodge the head to last a week or two and if so how would I check to see if it's been done properly?
    Yes I know I should have got a 3.0 but there wasn't much of anyhting near me at the time I was looking - especially taking in p/x's.
    Cheers
    Dan

Hi mate,

Don't know what it tastes like, but dribble a few drops of coolant
    onto a hose, and it will leave a whiteish powder residue, it may also
    show up in the engine compartment if coolant was sprayed around.

Or take it back to the DEALER and get your money back. if no joy
    start saving up for a new head. (sorry)

Hope this helps.

Gman.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

If you want to keep it, get the dealer to change the head. If you dont want it, get your money back, as it sounds dear.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I've asked for my money back - he's not a happy bunny about it. I can feel a small claims action coming on....

Comment

Hi mate,

Have a look at this info.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...d_vehicles.htm

Hope this helps.

Gman.

Comment

That's a good site - better than the one I saw before (http://whatconsumer.co.uk/buying-a-car/).

Well I could not reasonably be expected to spot a cracked head / gasket, I only got 10 miles / 30 minutes use out of it and it won't start at all now so I won't be using it in the meantime! Plus according to your link I am entitled to my p/x back or it's p/x value regardless of any invented faults it may have developed in the past two days.
            Once I sort this out I shall be looking for a 3 litre with history I reckon. Preferably one where I can open the boot too!
            He told me today my motor was really only worth £600 yet he's already got it up for sale at £1600!!
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280844486692

Comment

Money and car back. Still another 100 out of pocket tho.

Comment

Hi mate,

Well done, £100 is better than £1000,

Gman.

Comment

Working...
                X