Head problems, need some insight asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head problems, need some insight asap

So I had some minor engine issues with my Surf 2.4. Mostly because of lack of maintenance and know how of the previous owner. The head ended up cracking on me, so I thought now's a good time to do a full rebuild. So I did the rebuild with all new parts and a new complete head and head bolts as well as a new turbo. It ran great, went to test drive it and it got hot. Put some water in at a neighbor's house and checked the thermostat. Sure enough it was sticking so I bent it open, filled with water and drove it home. Overheated once on the way home, stopped and got more water and made it home. After this I replaced the rad cap and thermostat again and drove short distances but it started giving me the symptoms of a cracked head. Took it apart and I can't see any damage to the head or head gasket. Is it possible it could have cracked inside the head somewhere? It seemed there was a little coolant around precombustion chamber #4.

I would like to go ahead and replace the head but I am from Canada and it is hard to find a seller willing to ship a head overseas. Luckily I found the complete head from a retailer out of Florida, but it still cost me nearly $700 total once it came to my door. I have a friend who is in Japan at the moment who is buying and shipping over used parts, I may contact him about it.

I'm thinking that when I put the water into a hot engine is when I may have caused it to crack.

Surely you can get it pressure tested locally? No difference between petrol or diesel to do that. Then you'd know for sure.

Maybe you just buggered something up fitting it, refitting may cure it. I've done it before.

But get it pressure tested first.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hello, a cursory introduction would have been nice.

Check the cooling system isnt air-locked, search on here for "burping" the cooling system. Its a pig to bleed properly.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

crack in no 4 cylinder? had this on a 2lt landcruiser changed the head twice before i found the crack in the bore, my exuse was you cant see into no 4 unless you sit in the engine bay
        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

now that it has sat on the bench for a day I can see some rust markings appearing between the number 4 precombustion chamber and the intake valve in that cylinder. I am going to check tomorrow and see who locally can pressure test a head. I know I was getting pressure and bubbles in the cooling system when it was running, So I'm thinking head, but I need to be sure first.

I'll sit in the engine bay tonight amd check out the block as well.

As for an introduction, I'm an automotive tech from Canada, I've got an imported Surf and an imported Nissan Silvia. As well as a Chevy Silverado. I like long walks to the liquor store and my favorite colour is green. Good enough?

Comment

I found that the last 2 times the truck got hot was when I was doing freeway speeds against the wind and it was boosting pretty high. Starting to think the viscous coupling is dry. I knew nothing about that until now. The first time it overheated was the thermostat's fault. but now it seemed I could drive for a while at a low speed, but it was getting hot on the highway. It's hard to say. I'll rip the VC apart tomorrow and check it out. Wish I knew of that before I ripped the head off

Comment

Originally posted by young-gunn View Post
              As for an introduction, I'm an automotive tech from Canada, I've got an imported Surf and an imported Nissan Silvia. As well as a Chevy Silverado. I like long walks to the liquor store and my favorite colour is green. Good enough?
              No, not really. Smart arsed comments in someones 2nd post are rarely welcome.

Back to your problem though. When you fit your next new head, make triply sure that you have 100% bled the cooling system. Mechanic or not, you're not immune to getting an airlock in a 2.4 Surf.

Before you start re-filling, check on here for "burping" the cooling system.

Comment

It was a joke.. Anyways, I did properly burp the cooling system. I have had issues with air locks before on my truck that took a while to sort out, so I made sure it was properly burped.

Comment

There is the bottom of my head

This is where I think my problem stands

Comment

I thought you said you'd fitted a new head?

Comment

That is the new head. I put maybe 150 kms on it and pulled it off. It was a brand new complete head.

Comment

Working...
                      X