Shift Lever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Lever?

Hi all, I have just joined your family and look forward to getting to know you all so it might as well start now..
    I have just purchased a 93 ssrx 2.4 that I love driving and was purchased to tow the boat but are having trouble finding some info on the "how too`s" and "when not too" move the 4WD thingee!!.
    It is an auto and the lever to the right (rh drive) has 3 positions which is obviously "4L" "N" & "4H" I am currently useing it in "4h" for drive to work and highway use (I think thats right?) I guess "4L" is only really used when maybe on a slippery boat ramp pulling out? but the "N" has me stuffed?? when selected and the place in drive there`s nobody home? every gear is nuetral?, so when is this used?, I know these are silly questions to some of you but hey "goto start somewhere" .
    Is there somewhere you can send me on the net that explains this as everyone I ask here has a different opinion .
    Also Are just the rear wheels engaged the way im driving it now? (4h) and only engages 4WD when I push the button on the side of the stick?.
    Again sorry for the "might be" silly questions but have never owned a 4WD Truck (just STI Impreza`s & EVO Lancers ) so shes life in the slow lane now!.
    thanks mike.
    Before you can pass judgment on someone first you must walk a mile in their shoes, And when your a mile away......YOU HAVE THEIR SHOES!.

Originally posted by mykool
    Hi all, I have just joined your family and look forward to getting to know you all so it might as well start now..
    I have just purchased a 93 ssrx 2.4 that I love driving and was purchased to tow the boat but are having trouble finding some info on the "how too`s" and "when not too" move the 4WD thingee!!.
    It is an auto and the lever to the right (rh drive) has 3 positions which is obviously "4L" "N" & "4H" I am currently useing it in "4h" for drive to work and highway use (I think thats right?) I guess "4L" is only really used when maybe on a slippery boat ramp pulling out? but the "N" has me stuffed?? when selected and the place in drive there`s nobody home? every gear is nuetral?, so when is this used?, I know these are silly questions to some of you but hey "goto start somewhere" .
    Is there somewhere you can send me on the net that explains this as everyone I ask here has a different opinion .
    Also Are just the rear wheels engaged the way im driving it now? (4h) and only engages 4WD when I push the button on the side of the stick?.
    Again sorry for the "might be" silly questions but have never owned a 4WD Truck (just STI Impreza`s & EVO Lancers ) so shes life in the slow lane now!.
    thanks mike.
    Hi Mykool,

You should not use the 4wd facility when on tarmac as you can damage the transmission through wind-up.

The "N" is for neutral, I would guess it's only ever used when the vehicle needs to be towed.

For normal road driving leave it in 4H with the button out, here as you have discovered only the back wheels will have power.

Hope this helps

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

yeah, 4L is low ratio, 4H is high ratio

basically you've got an extra gearbox to work the 4wd and this has 2 gears... 1 for normal driving "high ratio" and one for when you need loads power but only low speeds "low ratio"... the neutral's there i guess, cos you gotta have a neutral between them!?!? could be for if you need to work on the box to disengage a gear or could be for the fitting of a power take off (PTO).... who know's how these japanese boys minds work??

not 100% but i think 4wd is only selectable via the button on 4H... it will engage 4wd automatically when you shift to low.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks allot for your input guy`s, I feel allot better about useing it now .

mike
        Before you can pass judgment on someone first you must walk a mile in their shoes, And when your a mile away......YOU HAVE THEIR SHOES!.

Comment

Working...
        X