mmm intresting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmm intresting

well after reading on this forum that someone suggested removing the 90 degree rubber bend on the intake of the air filter to get a benefit , today as i was bored thought i would try it.....

christ what a difference!!!!!!

ok the induction noise is a bit well.... gay .. but .... the performance gain was very very good and upon hard acceleration not even a whiff of black smoke...

after looking a bit into why this drastic change is it would seem the intake on the filter housing is of a sufficent size but then the plastic pipe work down to the rear of the headlight is tiny..... odviously this was a after thought from toyota and not something they worried about so i now intend to make up some stainless pipe of the same diametre of the intake and re connect the pipework in hope of keepint the lack of smoke and performance and loosing the intake roar.....

go on then everyone try it .. you know you wanna ,,, although i do say do not leave the pipe off waving in the wind as the possability of water comming down the wing and into the filter housing is a risk not worth taking but as a little experiment on a dry day is more than worth it....

Usual reason for these 'design' descisions is to do with costs and noise pollution. Nothing to do with performance. Changing the length of the intake tract will change the performance. One of the reasons I went with the Snorkel... see image left. The same can be said of the exhaust, well documented elsewhere on this site.

andyL

Comment

It does work well
      I did away with the tube from the elbow to the headlight a long time ago !
      Have a look here
      http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=1369
      Simon.O.
      '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
        Usual reason for these 'design' descisions is to do with costs and noise pollution. Nothing to do with performance. Changing the length of the intake tract will change the performance. One of the reasons I went with the Snorkel... see image left. The same can be said of the exhaust, well documented elsewhere on this site.

andyL
        Andy,

where did you get your snorkel from? Wouldn't mind getting one myself...

Simono,

did you ever fit the bonnet scoop?
        I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Big Jonah,

Snorkel came From 4x4 FrogsIsland...

Snorkel... model number is SS106HF.. (oops... typing too fast... thanks for the proof read )
          Remember, measure three times cut once... Concentrate on the job... (not like I did and cut the outside hole the size the inner hole should have been) Looks a bit dodgy very close up... but works fine. You'll need a cut off saw to remove the inner wheel arch brace. Local Stereo place let me use their air tools to make the holes (much to their amusement)...

Speak to Eddie Priscott.
          Last edited by AndyLala; 17 August 2004, 10:25.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
            Big Jonah,

Snorkel came From 4x4 FrogsIsland...

Snorkel... model number is SS105HF..
            Remember, measure three times cut once... Concentrate on the job... (not like I did and cut the outside hole the size the inner hole should have been) Looks a bit dodgy very close up... but works fine. You'll need a cut off saw to remove the inner wheel arch brace. Local Stereo place let me use their air tools to make the holes (much to their amusement)...

Speak to Eddie Priscott.
            Don't want to be picky but there's a small typo - part no should be SS106HF. You could also try Scorpion Racing www.scorpionracing.co.uk . Got mine from there ex-stock for £150 and they are always a pleasure to deal with. The other thing to watch when fitting is that there is a air expansion box fitted in the top of the wing which needs to be removed. On mine this needed the wing to be unbolted at the top - not a big job but don't try to drill through it!
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
            X