Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious what these are...

Evening all.

It starts with my 4wd not working - I press the button and I hear clicks but no light on the dash and no front wheels being engaged. When I first got the Surf the 4wd light on the dash intermittently came on when i pushed the button but I presumed this was an electrical fault. On one occasion before I was a little bit wiser about my Surf (used to have a Landy) I drove in 4wd on the road for about 25 miles one evening. Ever since then (I think) the 4wd really doesn't work, to the point where I got stuck on a beach in Donegal this summer and had to be hauled off by a dump truck.

So not being mechanically minded my intention was always to leave it to a local Surf owning mechanic, but distance and money have stopped me upto now. But then i had a hoke on here for all the 4wd drive problem threads and realised alot of the time it appears to be a vacuum problem. This one in particular got me looking under the bonnet this afternoon http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23963 only because there was a photo! Feeling lucky but with no idea what I was looking at, even with a Haynes manual , I thought if i found a similar set of pipes I could make some sort of sense of what was going on - but no.

Instead I found these open ended bits of tubing and I wondered should they be connected to something?
    Attached Files

I know where the second one is conected in my 2.4 that T-piece sits right next to the turbo, I'll get a photo but it's dark and bloddy cold at the moment hehe.

cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Been outside to look on my 2.4 can't see where that T-peice should be at all.

I'll try and get a pic in the morning if there's time, dammed cold and dark right now
      cal
      Last edited by Calos; 9 December 2011, 19:40.
      Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

cheers Calos - I was nearly outside too and then caught myself on :-)

Comment

Haven't looked on mine but would the one under the arch be some kind of protection for the wires going to a TEMS system or something like that?

But yea, too bloomin cold and dark outside to go poking around for me

Comment

looks like one of your vac pipes has come off the diff , shoudl be 2 rubber pipes connected to the front diff casing [operates the add]
            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Terrible pics but looks like the one with the T should be connected to the Boost Compensator on fuel pump.

Nev

Comment

Actually all those vacuum lines on that side look all messed up so take a look here -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

Second pic and diagram.

Nev

Comment

............and here for the ADD -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/add.htm

Nev

Comment

Do they drive on the right in Northern Ireland then??

Comment

thanks all - gonna have a look now

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Do they drive on the right in Northern Ireland then??
                        Gawd at least I have learnt something from this thread so far - I had always presumed offside was opposite side to driver

Comment

Working...
                        X