How do you fit ball joint spacers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fit ball joint spacers??

Just received my ball joint spacers and I'm not 100% on how to fit them and input or any1 with precious knowledge. Also cheapest place to buy longer front shocks or any1 selling any thanks

I might be wrong but I've heard/ been told that the spacers are only fitted to the top wishbone is that right ?

Comment

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/customsuspension.htm
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Great help thanks bud

Comment

Fitted mine on sunday.
          Here's my little run down of what to do:

jack up front and take weight off both wheels.
          remove wheels
          take tension off torsion bars (mine were wound up to the max, so I unwound them 50 1/3 of a turn, turns. or 17 complete revolutions approx)
          put cup of trolley jack under lower ball joint nut and just take the weight.
          crack the 4 nuts on the top ball joint.
          jack up the lower joint untill you can get a wedge in between the bump stop and upper arm. you will need to jack it up the same amount as the height of your spacer.
          I used a small lump hammer that nicely wedged into this gap and safely held it up.
          release jack pressure from lower ball joint
          undo the nuts nearly off of the studs, but leave on.
          give them a good bang with a hammer and the studs should free and pop out.
          lower jack and upper BJ should now be free.
          Chances are your new spacer won't fit as the surfs "cup" that holds the original is shaped. You will need to grind off 10mm from the back. Keep trying the spacer untill it just fits in.
          protect the freshly ground metalwork with some black paint.
          grease the spacer and bolt holes and put in place.
          push the ball joint back into position and fit your new M8 80mm Hi tensile bolts, spring washers and nylock nuts.
          tighten up.
          wheels on and lower to ground.
          If your torsion bars were not wound up before, you may want to wind them back to where you started....!
          However, mine kept the ride height the same, but now I have the same distance of travel between the upper and lower bump stops, whereas before the upper stop was tight up against the arm.
          You will need to get a wheel alignmet done as you will now be running positive camber ( top of wheels sticking out)

Result, nice compliant ride due to torsion bars being relaxed and suspension travel in both directions. Well worth it.
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Pics
            Attached Files
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
            X