Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant turn ignition key

HI folks.

I have a weird problem that is really bugging the hell out of me. I have been sorting out my Surf 2.4 over the last couple of weeks by replacing the head, water pump, timing belt etc etc.

I also had a problem that when I purchased the car, the ignition barrel was hanging off it bracket as someone had tried to pinch it from the previous owner. The key turned fine everytime previous to my refitting of it. However, now it wont turn to start. It seems locked in the off position. I have checked the gear lever is in park, but it will not turn. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Car is now ready to run after all the work I have committed to it, but the ###### key wont turn !

If the steering lock is on then the key won't turn, so maybe a problem along them lines?
    www.apmautos.com

Comment

Put your foot on the brake pedal, you should hear a click from the shift lock solenoid. If no click, check that the brake lights are working.

Comment

Sussed it. I appear to have a blown alternator fuse. The white 100 amp one. Would this kill most of the electrics?

Comment

It killed almost everything when mine went. As I recall there were one or two odd exceptions, but most things went dead.

Comment

It IS actually the ignition barrel that seems seized. Does anyone have a used one I could purchase?

Comment

There is a double connector under the steering column in blue, try it with that disconnected. If that fixes it, there is a switch on the shifter (front left) so the thing knows when it's in park, and thats probably stuck.
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
              X