head fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head fitted

finished the head transplant today, gave it a good priming and after 10secs she fired up. CAUTION the fan mod will take your eyebrows off. Engine is racing at about 1800 and nothing on the accelarator but it's the wifes birthdeay and she arrived home with a rake of red wine so I'll have a tinker tomorow.
    All the best

Head fitted

New head on, still running at 1800rpm with cables backed off, and will not rev (turning throttle by hand)
    Engine checklight is on.
    I have codes (7) Throttle Position Sensor signal & (11) ECU/ECM.
    So it would seem I have missed something when replacing the throttle body back on (spanners out again).
    Good news is that it starts and runs spot on(although only a 1800rpm).
    A couple of things I have noticed;

(1) The heaters worked faster and better as well as the radiator, where it used to get warm slowly, it was like someone had flicked a switch when it got up to normal running temp.
    (2) The fan repair (2x50 ml bottles of 7,000 silicone oil @ £7.00) is amazing. I tried to top up the water at the cap from a watering can, and there was water everwhere. So if you can top up your water holding the spout around 3" away from the filler and get any water in the hole your fan needs attention.

Right spanners out, head down.
    All the best

Comment

100ml is way too much fluid. 50ml is all you need; didn't anyone tell you that?

TPS is easily damaged, it's also easy to fry the ECU if you cross wire something. I'd start with a different TPS (or, if you disturbed the TPS for some reason, set it up properly), see how that goes.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Head Update

Cheers for the help, there were conflicting ideas on the site as to how much and what grade so I went with 75ml of 7,000. I phoned a Toyota dealer who said they had never heard of re-oiling the fan and said it was a sealed unit.

Anyway had a look at the throttle and the slotted slider bit controlled by the accelarator had fouled on an injector pipe.

Back together now and runs like a dream. Reset the ecu and no codes.

This may not seem a big deal to some of the guys on here whom can swap engines, replace cylinder heads and do complere rebuilds ( of who I am in complete awe of), but to little old me, with limited tools, working outside in the elements and basicly making it up as I go along, i'ts a massave achevement. I has took me 3 months to get the cash together to buy the bits and now I need a radiatior ( I soldered it up to get the truck running but can't trust it for every day use) so I'll have to wait some more. I even had to fabricate a puller for the crankshaft pulley. So thankyou again to all whom have helped either directly by responding to my posts, or to anyone who ha ever posted with those little snippets of info that get us on our way.

And if you ever think why did I ever buy a surf Just be glad you didn't buy a Volvo (but that's another story)
        All the best

Comment

Well done, frontman, you deserve credit for it!

Comment

Originally posted by frontman View Post
            Cheers for the help, there were conflicting ideas on the site as to how much and what grade so I went with 75ml of 7,000. I phoned a Toyota dealer who said they had never heard of re-oiling the fan and said it was a sealed unit.

Anyway had a look at the throttle and the slotted slider bit controlled by the accelarator had fouled on an injector pipe.

Back together now and runs like a dream. Reset the ecu and no codes.

This may not seem a big deal to some of the guys on here whom can swap engines, replace cylinder heads and do complere rebuilds ( of who I am in complete awe of), but to little old me, with limited tools, working outside in the elements and basicly making it up as I go along, i'ts a massave achevement. I has took me 3 months to get the cash together to buy the bits and now I need a radiatior ( I soldered it up to get the truck running but can't trust it for every day use) so I'll have to wait some more. I even had to fabricate a puller for the crankshaft pulley. So thankyou again to all whom have helped either directly by responding to my posts, or to anyone who ha ever posted with those little snippets of info that get us on our way.

And if you ever think why did I ever buy a surf Just be glad you didn't buy a Volvo (but that's another story)
            We all started somewhere mate, I see your near my old stomping grounds i was a regular through tod and into hebden bridge on the motorbikes,
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cheers for the support guys I'm still beaming. Trouble is that my darling wife likes the surf so much she's now talking of getting a 3 litre as well.
              And a note for any returning bikers, watch out for the new'ish speed cameras on the Tod to Hebden road.
              All the best

Comment

Working...
              X