Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glowplug voltage

Just double checked my glowplugs and they've all gone high resistance

Reading around, the glowplug voltage should be 11V initially, dropping to 8V or so after a few seconds. I know there's a big resistor to drop the voltage to 8V but what governs the 11V?

Only asking as I'm getting 12.5V on the glowplug rail and I'm wondering if that's what has killed these plugs off after 6 months Is the current draw of the plugs supposed to pull the voltage down or is there another resistor somewhere?

The ones that are in there currently were from Roughtrax, but reading round the Aussie forums, they seem to be recommending Bosch glowplugs.

What are people on here using? Any favourites?

Thanks,

Dan
    https://galooph.com

There's a round Glow Plug Relay on left side of vehicle. There's two terminals on top. Uppermost one should be battery voltage. Lower should vary in voltage so check the following. Check voltage when cold and ignition off. Check voltage when cold and ignition on. Check voltage after startup. Check voltage after startup and allow engine to warm up. Write down these and report back. Do all this in one go, as after the glowplugs have warmed up readings will change.

Nev

Comment

BTW I use Bosch Glow Plugs and they never give me any trouble.

Nev

Comment

I had two duff plugs on mine a while back, did all the checks with no fault found. Replaced them with a pattern set, they lasted about 6 months then died, more checks carried and no fault found. Bit the bullet and bought a set form local Toyata at £87, no probs and starts better than ever, if you're going to spend that make sure you really have no faults though, they're a bit expensive to blow up.

Comment

Ordered some new plugs today - trying some Bosch ones.

I dug out the wiring diagram and the plugs are connected straight to 12V initially, then switched via the resistor for the second cycle, so I'm happy. I was only concerned there was another dropper resistor that came into play to drop the 12V to 11V.
          https://galooph.com

Comment

Working...
          X