Non-starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-starter

2.4 LN130 had been running nicely up to a week ago, then for a couple of days it was a bit sluggish starting. After a few puffs of white smoke and rough idling, it'd be fine for the rest of the day, even starting.

Now though, it refuses to start :-( Turns over nicely, but never catches.

First thing I did was check for any stored codes. The only one was a code 5 for pump resistors. I found one of the resistors on the side of the pump was open circuit, so I fixed that. I'll do a separate post about that! Reset the ECU and it's now showing no fault codes.

Glow plugs and the glow plug timer seem to be working ok. I fitted new glow plugs at the start of the year.

Fuel filter is fine, fuel primer works ok, and diesel is getting through to the injectors ok.

I roped my Mum in earlier to crank it over while I watched the engine, and I'm getting puffs of atomised diesel coming from the area around where the turbo joins the exhaust downpipe. Here's a video

Any ideas? Maybe it's my Surf's way of telling me to get it Lexsurfed!

Thanks,

Dan
    https://galooph.com

sounds to me like your blue smoke from around the turbo is more to do with an exhaust gasket not sealing properly. if there is diesel coming out of the blue smoke then i would say it has something to do with the starting/ignition systems. how have you checked to make sure the glow plugs work the way they should?
    on an additional note, there are no fuel lines going to the turbo. the valve in the previous post is called a wastegate, it opens when the turbo gets to the preset pressure of the spring behind the wastegate allowing the rest of the exhaust gasses to exit through the exhaust pipe and not into the turbo, hope that made sense.
    from the video it turns over quite happily, so check to make sure there are no loose connectors anywhere and broken vacuum hoses.
    hope this helps
    Cheers Jason

Comment

Fuel to injectors, cranks ok and what you say is fuel coming out exhaust. Sounds like a timing problem. How long since timing belt was done? Pump timing injecting fuel at wrong time seems likely.

Nev

Comment

Working...
      X