Timing belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt change

Hi folks, today I changed my timing belt, power steering belt and alternator belt. I was going to change my air con belt also but decided that as it wasn't working anyway just to pull all the gubbings out. I now find that the surf takes ages to fire up and seems to have almost no power when accelerating. This is a very long shot I understand as without someone actually looking at the truck makes it very hard to diagnose however I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?
    I am going to look at it again in the morning as I now need a massive dram but if anyone has any ideas to minimise the amount of head scratching I will have to do tomorrow I would be most grateful, and yes I do have a manual for it but it is the Max Ellery one and is about as much use as tits on a bull.

Paul

The pump timing is out most likely.
    Did you complete two or three revolutions of the crankshaft to check that all the timing marks were still lined up before putting it all back together?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      The pump timing is out most likely.
      Did you complete two or three revolutions of the crankshaft to check that all the timing marks were still lined up before putting it all back together?
      Hi there, I did do a few revolutions of the crankshaft but I now think that I only lined up three of the four marks as the ellery manual only mentioned three and not four. My neighbour whose garage I used to do the work reckons that there's not enough fuel getting through due to this as he had a similar problem with his land rover

Cheers Vince

I am also happy to announce that I lost no blood today which is not bad considering I am quite a clumsy wee chap

Comment

Although part of me wants the car to not work so I have an excuse to join the growly club

Comment

Its usually something you've done, try not to start looking for other random problems when it doesn't after work after doing something specific. Double check and look hard at the cam belt and timing before diving off after unrelated.

There are only 3 marks to line up. Cam, Pump and Crank.

Good luck, the 2.4 is a hassle to get to the belt on.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Starting issue - You've done something to the glow plug wiring.
            Running issue - The Vacuum hoses have been disturbed.

That's where I'd start looking.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take a good look at it tomorrow and see what i've goosed.

Paul

Comment

The truck is now back to normal and starts on first turn of the key. The problem was the pump timing was slightly out (1cm).

Thanks for the sugestions guys, I am feeling very pleased today

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X