Turbo mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo mod

I was planning to do the turbo mod this weekend (with the washers) so i temporarily fitted a gunson lo-gauge to determine the amount of boost i am already getting. I seem to be getting around 8-9 psi max boost and the dash turbo light comes on around 3psi. This max boost is higher than i expected, should i leave well alone or still do the mod?

dazza
    Non consternationes.

You can go to a maximum of 12 PSI

If you overboost the engine it will go in to limp mode and need resetting, I don't know how though!
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by dazandcaz View Post
      I was planning to do the turbo mod this weekend (with the washers) so i temporarily fitted a gunson lo-gauge to determine the amount of boost i am already getting. I seem to be getting around 8-9 psi max boost and the dash turbo light comes on around 3psi. This max boost is higher than i expected, should i leave well alone or still do the mod?

dazza
      Let us know how you get on with this ,I am all for letting someone else do all the experimenting!!!
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Incidently I have modded mine - I put a washer in and went from 7psi to 9psi, the pressure dropped off when I installed an Intercooler so I did it again and am now running 10psi no problem so far!

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
          Incidently I have modded mine - I put a washer in and went from 7psi to 9psi, the pressure dropped off when I installed an Intercooler so I did it again and am now running 10psi no problem so far!

Yea i had a good look at your intercooler at Avalanche along with the many other mods, i dont have a body lift so would struggle to fit one but wanted to tweak the turbo a little. Do you now have more than one washer behind each bolt fixing? roughly how much was it spaced off to achive the initial 2psi increase?

Dazza
          Non consternationes.

Comment

Yea i had a good look at your intercooler at Avalanche along with the many other mods, i dont have a body lift so would struggle to fit one but wanted to tweak the turbo a little. Do you now have more than one washer behind each bolt fixing? roughly how much was it spaced off to achive the initial 2psi increase?

Dazza
            Daz, stop pi$$ing about & buy a 3rd gen.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

. Do you now have more than one washer behind each bolt fixing? roughly how much was it spaced off to achive the initial 2psi increase?

Dazza
              Initially I had one washer (about 1.5mm thick) which gave 2psi - After fitting the Intercooler I had to put in another 2 washers (on each bolt) to boost it back up.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                Daz, stop pi$$ing about & buy a 3rd gen.
                I wouldn't want to be a girl about getting it dirty though
                Non consternationes.

Comment

I wouldn't want to be a girl about getting it dirty though
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

The deed is done, a washer went on each bolt and a good old blast around the village to try it out. The difference is really noticable on the long steep hills around here. I may still experiment with different thicknesses of washers but it certainly makes a large improvement.
                    Jobs also done this weekend=
                    repaired towing electrics after numerous ploughing incidents at Avalanche
                    fitted roof spoiler in anticipation of the new blistering speeds

time for beer
                    Non consternationes.

Comment

Turbo mod??

Trying to work out what this mod is? Never heard if it before an I'm all up for turning boost up!!!
                      ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

Comment

It makes the wastegate open later

Comment

So where do these washers go? Is there a post on here for how to do it?

Comment

Here is the link:

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm

It's a good idea to fit a boost gauge first:

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/boostguage.htm

Comment

Magic cheers mate will get on that soon

Comment

Working...