Strange place for a Rad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange place for a Rad

Hi all, Whilst looking for a very minor oil leak pointed out to me by a friend, i noticed i have a some sort of rad built in to the bash plate underneath the surf. As some of you know, ive been trying to stop the surf from over heating and an adition rad was the plan ( subject to cost and getting someone to fit it) However, not that any of my mates have extensive knowledge of Surfs, none of them seem to be able to 100% identify this rad. As my surf has two batteries im assuming its fitted with a winter pack, so could this be part of that ?? ( ive no extra lights, winch or anything that would require an extra battery so thats a mystery as well)
    Its at least 10" square, and seems to have two fans on top of it. It fits very neatly in to the bash plate, so im now wondering if this maybe a pucker AT cooler fitted before i got the surf. and maybe isnt working properly. Ill try to get some pics if necessary but its well covered and no opportunity as yet to get the surf on a ramp to see it better. Any ideas ???
    thanks
    nigel
    Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Its the a/c rad.( condenser)
    Сви можемо

Comment

I've had overheating issues with mine, but only when towing up hill or on long slow gradients, despite having both a bonnet extracter fan and an ATF oil cooler fitted. I'm fairly sure that it's the ATF fluid running through the base of the radiator that is causing the problem, reheating the coolant just as it's going back into the engine, so I'm going to disconnect the OE ATF cooler from the circuit and just use the auxilliary one. If that stops it overheating then at least I'll know what the problem is.
      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by nigel129 View Post
        Hi all, Whilst looking for a very minor oil leak pointed out to me by a friend, i noticed i have a some sort of rad built in to the bash plate underneath the surf. As some of you know, ive been trying to stop the surf from over heating and an adition rad was the plan ( subject to cost and getting someone to fit it)
        thanks
        nigel
        I can recommend carrying out the "viscous fan" mod ,I was concerned with any potential over heating on my truck ,did the mod which in total took about 2 hours ,and the temp gauge has not moved past the last "wave" icon to the left of the middle of the gauge.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          I can recommend carrying out the "viscous fan" mod ,I was concerned with any potential over heating on my truck ,did the mod which in total took about 2 hours ,and the temp gauge has not moved past the last "wave" icon to the left of the middle of the gauge.
          Thanks Shok, but could you be more specific on this mod. A friend suggested putting some sort of switch which i could control so "up hill drags" i could flick the switch, but i have no idea which fan this should be connected to. As far as im aware my "viscous fan" is fine and i can hear it kicking in, but by then on a long hill its to little, to late.
          If this newly found rad is part of the AC, then as i never use AD couldnt i use it in some way to cool the AT, or remove it to increase air flow. Im gutted its not some sort of additional cooler that doesnt, or may not work, so back to square one waiting to fit an ebay job. This may seem very simple to some readers, but im struggling to sort things out myself as in my area , surf experts are thin on the ground.
          Thanks to other repliers so far.
          nigel

Comment

Originally posted by nigel129 View Post
            Thanks Shok, but could you be more specific on this mod. A friend suggested putting some sort of switch which i could control so "up hill drags" i could flick the switch, but i have no idea which fan this should be connected to. As far as im aware my "viscous fan" is fine and i can hear it kicking in, but by then on a long hill its to little, to late.
            If this newly found rad is part of the AC, then as i never use AD couldnt i use it in some way to cool the AT, or remove it to increase air flow. Im gutted its not some sort of additional cooler that doesnt, or may not work, so back to square one waiting to fit an ebay job. This may seem very simple to some readers, but im struggling to sort things out myself as in my area , surf experts are thin on the ground.
            Thanks to other repliers so far.
            nigel
            south wales - surf experts thin on the ground

you haven't looked very hard - vince (bushwhacker) is in south wales - he's one of the best for work and advice on a surf

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
              south wales - surf experts thin on the ground

you haven't looked very hard - vince (bushwhacker) is in south wales - he's one of the best for work and advice on a surf
              no, merthyr

Comment

Working...
              X