100,000 km done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100,000 km done

My surf has just passed the 100,000 km on the odeometer, I thought the 100,000 timing belt change light would have come on? has anyone else had this?

Originally posted by snowwolf
    My surf has just passed the 100,000 km on the odeometer, I thought the 100,000 timing belt change light would have come on? has anyone else had this?
    It menas that sometime in the last 100K kms, someone changed the timing belt and reset the light. It will come on again 100K kms from when the belt was changed.

Cheers

Comment

timing belt

Hi Andy...... I'm a little confused, if the light has not come on at the 100.000km time. now does that mean the light has been on before? so it might have done over 100,000 and had the clock wound back?
      Also is there a type of switch on the timing belt, that shows that it has been changed or is it reset by pushing the little button next to the speedo, so each time this button is pushed, it will take another 100,000 km before it comes on again.

Comment

Hi Andy...... I'm a little confused, if the light has not come on at the 100.000km time. now does that mean the light has been on before? so it might have done over 100,000 and had the clock wound back?
        Also is there a type of switch on the timing belt, that shows that it has been changed or is it reset by pushing the little button next to the speedo, so each time this button is pushed, it will take another 100,000 km before it comes on again.
        There is no reason to suspect that the clock has been wound back, it may well have been changed at time of import, I changed mine when I got mine with 60K kms on the clock. When you reset it with the button next to the speedo, you are correct in thinking that it resets it for anoth 100Ks. The light is tripped by a cog on the odometer. The button resets this cog so it then has to wait for the cog to go round again to trip the light on. This takes exactly 100Ks.

The only way to know if the belt is changed is if there is a sticker on the timing belt covere and if you can read Kanjii script. I can't and there was no sticker anyway so I changed mine for safety's sake.

Cheers

Comment

timing belt

I can't see any sticker, did you change the belt? I am a mechanic (not motor trade) so can handle spanners and the like, is it easy to do and are there any other things that are worth changing when the belt is done.

Comment

I can't see any sticker, did you change the belt? I am a mechanic (not motor trade) so can handle spanners and the like, is it easy to do and are there any other things that are worth changing when the belt is done.
            I didn't change the belt because I couldn't be bothered at the time - work was too busy. However I changed the head last year and changed the belt at the same time.

I's not a difficult job, just time consuming on the 2.4, allow about 3 - 4 hours to do the job as most of the front of the engine needs to come off including the crank pulley which is the most difficult part.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X