Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold starting problems on a hill

Hi,

I have a lovely 1993 2.4TD Surf. She has always been a good, reliable truck.
    About 6 months ago she started having cold start problems and I changed her spark plugs but this did not improve things. After, searching these forums, I tried one suggestion. That of not just waiting for the deisel starting buzz, but then wait for the second faint click. If I did that the first time I started her in the morning then she would start perectly fine. For the rest of the day, I can start her immediately the buzzing starts.

However, a couple of weeks ago, because of other car problems I had to park my truck on a slope. Next day, I went to start her, following the usual procedure, and she turned over fine but did not fire. Eventually, after cranking for a while she did start but was rough for a few minutes.

This is where we are at the moment. She is parked with her nose pointing up the slope and is difficult to start cold. Worse if she is left for a couple of days without using/starting. But once started, no starting problems throughout the rest of the day, no matter how long she sits around.

I plan to get some new plugs again and a fuel filter (though the last time the filter was changed it was not long after that the first cold start problems started).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is the slope significant or coincidence?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Roz

It's most likely fuel starvation aggravated by the up hill slope.

When you refuel do you get a 'hiss' of air being sucked into the tank? This may only occur after using a quarter of a tank or more as the fuel being sucked ut of the tank and into the engine causes a vacuum in the tank which is releived when the filler cap is removed.

If this is the case then check to see if your breather on the top of the tank is blocked as that seems to be the most reported fix for that issue.

Failing that it could be block fuel filter or faulty glow plugs (if your deisel you don't have spark plugs! ) which are a quick and cheap thing to replace so you may as well.

Try getting the battery(s) tested too, if the cranking power is low it will affect how well the engine turns over, even if it sounds OK as changing my batteries has fixed this for me recently.

I'll have more of a think and see what else I can come up with but I expect a grown up will be along shortly to help!

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

check the glow plug fuse
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
        check the glow plug fuse
        Or that! It's would be a lot simpler than the things I was suggesting!

Comment

servicing

A set of glow plugs is only £30 and easy to do, make sure all air and fuel filters are clean, if the glow light is on the relay is clicking and new plugs are in it should be fine with clean filters if it doesn't have a more serious problem...injector/timing slip/ others good luck
          NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Thanks, guys.

The relay appears to be working fine and the batteries are both charged. How long would be reasonable for the batteries to last? They were (supposedly) new when I bought the truck, so they are about 2.5 years old and the truck gets used most days, 2-4 starts a day, and mostly journeys of only 5-10 minutes long.

I'm going to order some new plugs and a fuel filter from Roughtrax and see how I get on.

I will also keep an eye on the 'hiss' idea.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Roz

Comment

it sounds like the fuel isn't getting through properly.Check the tank breather by listening for a hiss when the filler cap is removed.If it is the tank breather then you can get by it by drilling a small hole through the filler cap
              It may also be the fuel primer at fault aswell.
              Where you been as i ain't seen you on here for a long time
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Mine's EXACTLY the same if I park it on the hilly part of my drive (pretty steep) and mine has a slightly dodgy fuel pump primer.
                So, yes, I would assume its fuel draining back to the tank as the primer is not holding the pressure. If you can "pump" the black button on top of the fuel filter, its knackered. Apparently it should be hard all the time...
                I wait the 20 odd seconds to start mine first thing in the morning, but, it still won't start instantly of it's on the slope. Save your money on those plugs and check the fuel primer first.
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Parking the other way around would help prove/disprove the hill theory?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    Mine's EXACTLY the same if I park it on the hilly part of my drive (pretty steep) and mine has a slightly dodgy fuel pump primer.
                    So, yes, I would assume its fuel draining back to the tank as the primer is not holding the pressure. If you can "pump" the black button on top of the fuel filter, its knackered. Apparently it should be hard all the time...
                    I wait the 20 odd seconds to start mine first thing in the morning, but, it still won't start instantly of it's on the slope. Save your money on those plugs and check the fuel primer first.
                    Spot on that man....
                    "fuel primer" my ole 2.4 did exactly the same, Dodgy primer changed, problem solved !!
                    To check ..
                    If/when ya get it started try parking facing down the driveway n see how it starts next morning !!
                    Good Luck

Oops beaten to it again

Jess
                    nearly 10 years of Surfs
                    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Will try parking the other way around. :-) Should have thought of that!

First thing in the morning I can push the primer twice, though it is quite hard, then goes rock hard ( ooooo, misses!) But then she starts lovely. So based on what has been said it sounds like I am not supposed to be able to do that so it may be broken. Roughtrax are listing them for £79.

Hi, Stormforce. :-) Been sidetracked playing with an MR2, not too sucessfully... but thats another story! lol

Comment

Rock hard is what you want! That means it's working!

Comment

That's what the missus say's Ray

Jess
                          nearly 10 years of Surfs
                          "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

All fixed! :-)

Just thought I would give you all a quick update.

Basically, she is all fixed and starting like a dream.

So what did we do, I hear you ask. Well, pretty straight forward. We replaced the fuel filter and whilst doing this found a small, short piece of fuel pipe tucked away which was a little dieselly. Replaced this and added new clips.

Pretty sure this is was the problem. Letting in a little air. Not enough to cause a problem when warm and running but enough to cause a problem when sat overnight. Saying 'pretty sure' as replaced filter as well (also replaced plugs but replaced ones looked fine and had the right resistance) so could have been both.

Thanks for all your help and guidance.

:-)

Comment

Got any pics of the pipe you changed?

Comment

Working...
                              X