Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Surf fuel pump & veg oil question

Hello all.

I've just taken possession of my first Hilux - 1990 Surf LN130. I have read all the threads here on vegoil use(thanks to all the posters) and on other web finds, but having no mechanical expertise, I would appreciate a second opinion please.

I know that the Lucas/CAV style of fuel pumps can cause problems with SVO, and that the Bosch can work with SVO. I gather again from what I have read, rather than what I'm looking at under the bonnet, that the 2nd gen Hilux were built with a variation of the Bosch pump, but is there any way I can check that is what I have got?

And if I was just crack on with the following experiment http://www.bio-power.co.uk/tryit.htm without knowing which type of pump I have, will I cause irrepairable damage?

Many thanks for any help

You have a Bosch derived pump.

You can run up to 100% SVO or WVO.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

excellent.... thanks for the quick reply

Comment

The top seal on the pump will leak, but it's an easy and cheap fix.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Psst
          David did ya check back to ya previous post ?
          I replied in ya other Post

Jess
          nearly 10 years of Surfs
          "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

veg oil use

hi, just to confirm what has already been said 100% veg is ok the surf will run great while the weather is warm, however cum the cold you will have problems starting so you will need to go for a mix say 50/50. The seals will eventually go on the pump if you do not mix though, having said that the seal kit is cheap even though its a bugger to fit all of them as the pump needs to be taken out. A good mechanic will sort it, but i would get it done when you next fit a timing belt then you know youve new seals. One more point to think about veg oil is now at a ridiculous price, cheapest arround is about £1 lt, it was 30p lt a few years ago when i first converted and it saved me a bomb not to mention the constant smell of a chippy lingering good luck

Comment

thanks Wald, Jess & Albannach

SVO is 40p cheaper than my local pump price, and I'm gonna go down the WVO route eventually, so at this point its all worth it.....
              Last edited by DavidB; 24 April 2011, 10:51.

Comment

Working...
              X