overheating worries !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating worries !!!

i'm on the verge of buying a surf - p reg & new shape i believe, have heard many stories of overheating & cracked heads !!!!!!!!

anyone give me some news on these problems, are they standard surf problems or down to poor care by owners.

thanx in advance
    [SIZE=5]ANDY[/SIZE]

[U]HOLMESDALE EAGLES[/U]

Panic not....

sounds like you got a smashing 3rd gen. Overheating prob occurred with heads on early 90's (to about 93/4 I think). Ours was one of 'em.....
    Last edited by Helen; 23 July 2004, 11:42.
    Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

overheating / cracked heads

thanks for that helen, but are all P reg surf's 3rd gen ? how do i tell - about to weigh a lot of cash, divorce courts if i get this wrong having seen many horror stories on here
      [SIZE=5]ANDY[/SIZE]

[U]HOLMESDALE EAGLES[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by thechaddyboy
        thanks for that helen, but are all P reg surf's 3rd gen ? how do i tell - about to weigh a lot of cash, divorce courts if i get this wrong having seen many horror stories on here
        P Reg should definately be new shape and therfore 3rd Gen. 3rd Gen was from late 1995 onwards. In any case is will be a 3.0 Litre which doesn't have the same history of cracked heads which were only a problem on SOME of the 2.4s.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Helen
          I just assumed it's a 3rd coz you said it's the new shape.... Would hope a P reg a later mod that had updated head. Have a look in the members rigs galleries to compare models.

We got ours at private sale and had no warranty. If you really want it, nail a really good warranty to cover the head. Or go for the 3ltr if you can afford it... !

It will be a 3.0, 96 on were all 3rd gen 3.0 models. So enjoy.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

There you go..... I only have to babble about something and I get rescued by the 'big boys' !!!

Can I please get one bit right......
            Check the VIN plate and the model number should be prefixed KZN.

Can I, can I ??

Comment

There you go..... I only have to babble about something and I get rescued by the 'big boys' !!!

Can I please get one bit right......
              Check the VIN plate and the model number should be prefixed KZN.

Can I, can I ??
              Course you can Helen. You always make valid points and you are often first to the reply button.

You are pretty much correct there. Not sure on the petrol 3rd gens but the diesel 3rd gen will be a KZN 185. Think the petrol one may be RZN 185 but not sure.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by thechaddyboy
                i'm on the verge of buying a surf - p reg & new shape i believe, have heard many stories of overheating & cracked heads !!!!!!!!

anyone give me some news on these problems, are they standard surf problems or down to poor care by owners.

thanx in advance
                Simplest way to tell if its a 3rd Gen is the tailgate, 1st & 2nd have a drop down whilst 3rd and 4th have a lift up. Easy.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                  Simplest way to tell if its a 3rd Gen is the tailgate, 1st & 2nd have a drop down whilst 3rd and 4th have a lift up. Easy.
                  There you go, I always forget that one.

Cheers

Comment

overheating / cracked heads

well, what a quick response from all of you, many thanks....especially to helen for being first off the block.
                    looks like i'm buying a surf then !!!!!!!!!
                    [SIZE=5]ANDY[/SIZE]

[U]HOLMESDALE EAGLES[/U]

Comment

First off the block and usually wrong.... gives a laugh don't it ?? (hence my profile name)
                      I haven't replied to a query in ages coz I'm not sure if I'm right.....
                      bugga me, I finally pluck up courage to reply to someone........and I'm not.... ha ha

Let us know what you get....

Comment

First off the block and usually wrong.... gives a laugh don't it ?? (hence my profile name)
                        I haven't replied to a query in ages coz I'm not sure if I'm right.....
                        bugga me, I finally pluck up courage to reply to someone........and I'm not.... ha ha

Let us know what you get....
                        No you're never wrong just like the rest of us not always 100% correct. Go on keep up the replies, none of us gets it right all the time and your replies are always so nice anyway.

Cheers

Comment

thank you....

I think I better buy my own Surf so I can play around much more... no , that doesn't sound right does it ? with the motor I meant.

Tom keeps taking his to work and going home in it, it's just not on..... i am allowed to use it sometimes but it's crying out for some off road play

Comment

Working...
                          X