New surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New surf

Well I just picked up another cheap surf, this one has had a new head last year and a ton of other bits and pieces. I may well break it up and use the head for mine and some of the other new parts !! Like the rad.
    Now this one runs fine until the temp guage reaches normal operating temp then it stalls on deacceleration but starts up again. Removing the thermostat cures the problem and it runs fine. I am thinking that the temp sensor for the ecu is at fault here, would anyone agree ? Or is there perhaps something else that may cause it ?
    Depending on the outcome with this one depends on what I do with it, either way I am gonna get 1 surf up and running and have me a whole host of spares for the future, so its all good.

Well I collected the new Surf on Monday eve, It drove home no probs and is actually in much better condition than the one whats head exploded !! As I mentioned the previous owner had removed the thermostat in order to cure a problem that the truck will sometimes cut out on deacceleration when it reaches normal operating temperature. I have driven it to work each day since and despite the fact it had no thermostat in it the heater worked well and the guage moved to 1/4 mark and stayed there. I decided to put a new thermostat in it today and a new rad cap. It drives spot on and the guage stays just below the half way mark.
    It has cut out on me once, since putting in a new stat, on deacceleration when it reaches normal operating temp. It starts up straight away again though. I am not convinced that it is the coolant sensor for the ecu anymore.
    Has anyone had this problem before or heard of it ? Any ideas of what it could be ?
    I have blanked the EGR valve off, and am thinking about blocking of the vacuum for the small butterfly valve in the throttle body.
    I removed all of the air con today, replaced the seized thermo fan and replaced the electric ariel.
    All in all I am enjoying ownng and driving the Surf, its a proper truck much better than the Fronterra I owned last year. And thats a hell of a sterio they put in it as standard, great bleedin big Kenwood thing that lights up like a
    UFO.
    Any advice regarding that cutting out issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Comment

engine problems

Darren,I had a similiar problem on mine,it was exactly the same with ref to the thermostat,and only cut out when engine revs were decreasing.

Took ages to eliminate but mine turned out to be a blocked air filter,when i put my foot down more air was drawn in and this overcame the problem,but as the car slowed,not as much air was drawn in and it died.

Not done it since,hope it helps,Alan

Comment

Thanks for the thought Al, I have already changed out the air filter, but you have given me a thought regarding a split I have found on the intake hose !!

Comment

Working...
        X